Ceiling fan light fixture

Old 03-01-09, 01:56 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan light fixture

Please - I am desperate. I need some help. I tried to install a light fixture on a fan that has been up for two years and it wouldn't light - the fan works fine. There are only two wires that attach the light to the fan. I don't know what I need to do first to find out why the light doesn't work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by KimberlyL; 03-01-09 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-01-09, 09:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Double check your connections. Make sure if they are push in connections that you push then in good. Make sure your light bulbs are good. With the switch on to the fan pull the pull chain.

If none of those work it's possible that when the fan was installed, the wire for the light was never connected in the J-box because there was no light. The only way to find that out is to take down the fan.

Old 03-02-09, 07:03 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm going to guess that Tolyn's last guess is correct. When somebody installs a fan without a light, it's fairly natural not to connect the light's hot wire to the power feed. To check/fix, you don't need to take down the fan, but you do need to lower the bell housing up at the ceiling so that you can access the junction box.

Old 03-02-09, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nelson
To check/fix, you don't need to take down the fan, but you do need to lower the bell housing up at the ceiling so that you can access the junction box.
John has a good point. If it has a down rod, you just need to remove two screws and loosen two of the other ones and the canopy should come down. You may have to remove a piece of trim that is covering the screws. That is of course if it has a down rod. Some "ceiling huggers" have the canopy attached to the motor housing. Then you will have to drop the entire fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: