Low voltage track light not working

Old 03-10-09, 10:33 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low voltage track light not working

Hi, thanks for reading.

I installed a low voltage track light that accepts MR16 bulbs. Originally, I wired in a sliding dimmer switch, but when I powered the circuit, the lights did not work. Reading the documentation, I see that only low voltage electronic dimmers are to be used with this track light.

To test the light, I removed the switch from the circuit. Still nothing. I checked the voltage across the red and black wires in the switch box, which read 120V. I checked the voltage in the track, which was about 44V. When I checked the voltage across the holes where the bulb goes....no reading. I had three other of the parts that fit into the track and accept the bulb, so I tried all of those with the same result. However, when I put the probe in just ONE of the holes, with the other open to air, the multimeter read 12V (which is what I think I need).

Do the measurements sound correct? Is it possible I fried the transformed in the track by attaching to the wrong dimmer?

Thanks,
Ned

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-09, 06:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 174 Votes on 156 Posts
It's possible you killed the transformer, But let's check a few other things first.

Since you not getting any volts at the heads check to make sure your lamp holders are making contact with your track and the heads are made for this type of track. Not all heads are compatible with all types of track.

44 volts does sound pretty high. Check the voltage rating of the MR16 lamps. If they are less that the voltage you were reading with your meter (like 12 volts) then chances are good that you burned up all the lamps.

Plugging in your meter into one hole does not give you a correct reading so ignore that.

Look at the input and output rating of the transformer. Make sure you are feeding it with the correct input voltage by checking between the two wires feeding the transformer to make sure you don't have 240v for some reason.

If your input is correct but your output rating is 12 volts and your getting 44 volts then I would return/replace the transformer.