Convert plug in light to ceiling fixture?

Old 03-17-09, 08:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Convert plug in light to ceiling fixture?

Hi. I'm a complete novice when it comes to DIY especially electrical. Could someone post easy to understand steps on how to convert a plug in light to a ceiling fixture? I assume we could remove the plug, strip the wires, etc. - but I'd really like detailed instructions. I've found this topic reversed (how to convert a ceiling fixture into a plug in), but not this way. We want to purchase a light that is meant to be plugged in and mounted as a swag type lamp, but I want to mount it on my ceiling instead of having a cord hanging around. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-09, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
How do you plan on mounting the fixture to the ceiling box? There may not be a way to properly mount the fixture.

Normal ceiling mount fixtures have some sort of a bracket that attaches to the ceiling box and then the fixture is secured with a center stud and nut or two smaller machine screws that extend down from the bracket.

Old 03-17-09, 11:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a chandelier up right now so I assumed I could use whatever that is mounted to. I figured I could purchase parts to make this work.

Old 03-17-09, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 40 Posts
Unless that light is made to be hung from the ceiling, it will not work. Your chandeliers canopy has some type or bracket with a nipple and locknut, and I assume, a chain from which it is hung from. Unless your light and a place to attach the chain from and you choose to use your existing lights canopy somehow to attach the fixture to the ceiling box. I'm afraid you are out of luck.

Last edited by pcboss; 03-17-09 at 05:31 PM. Reason: language