2 Tub Florescent Fixture Question

Old 03-22-09, 07:08 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 Tub Florescent Fixture Question

Have a 2 tube 94" unit in the garage that just went out, both tubes. Fooled around with the wall switch (check for power) and the fixture. Turned the power back on and one tube lit up. Pulled the tubes and put them each in the same sockets and they both worked.

What does this mean?

Thanks

Old 03-22-09, 07:12 AM
R
More info, just went back out the light is off again and the ballast is burning hot.

Old 03-22-09, 08:23 AM
S
Unless the fixture has starters,small cylinders close in size to a C cell battery,you probably have a ballast going bad.

Note that the actual size is 96 inches and ballasts for that size are pretty easy to find.

Probably F96T12.Look on the tubes for exact size.

If the fixture is older you might smell a burnt honey like odor.

Old 03-22-09, 10:46 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The ballast is going bad there.

If you used the reduced wattage bulbs they are hard on ballast.

To get new ballast sometime it will cost more than what you can get new strip luminarie will be.

They are typcially about 50€ or so.

I useally get new 8 foot luminaire but get 4 lamp 32WT-8 Verison that will kick out little more light than old 8 footer can dish out and they last longer as well. { most new four lampers have electronic ballast so it will be much quieter as well }

Merci,Marc

Old 03-23-09, 01:42 AM
R
Got a new fixture and put it up and seems fine, no hum. Did notice that it does not come on instantly like the old one. One bulb lights at one end and runs down the tube until completely lit, the other one comes on shortly after the other, but does not run. Both bulbs have about an inch of black at one end when on.

What do these indicate? Tube problems or something else. I am guessing they are about 8 years old.

Thanks

Old 03-23-09, 11:22 PM
F
Try get the new bulbs first that useally take care the issue once you get pretty good size black ring on the end that useally tell it is near end of life they will start hard or run very odd pattern as you describing.

{ Keep in your mind the reduced wattage bulbs don't light up very well when it is colder than 10°C or 15.5°C (50°F or 60°F )}

Merci,Marc

Old 03-24-09, 10:10 AM
S
Sounds like you need new tubes.All described issues suggest it.

Old 03-24-09, 10:23 AM
R
Thanks guys. Wish the previous owner had not put such a long fixture in. I have not a clue with my car how I am going to:

1. Get the old ones to the proper dump, and
2. How I am going to get the new ones home from the store.

Old 03-24-09, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
How'd you get the fixture home? Still have the box? The store may take your old tubes, some do.

Tape 'em up and strap em on the outside. Just like carrying a pole vault pole.

Old 03-24-09, 10:36 AM
R
Your right I was able to get it home, but there was no worry about it "exploding" in the car, like I have about the bulbs.

Would be great if there was a tube delivery and disposal service.

Thanks

Old 03-24-09, 03:55 PM
S
As some3one who has sold these exact bulbs for many years,you'd be surprised how many cars they will fit in.The distance from the front windshield corner above the dash to the back window corner diagonally running between the front seats is often 8 ft.

Of course not if you drive a subcompact...

I've also seen them taped and stuck out the window like the car is at a jousting tournament.

Also if you know someone or can talk a business into it you can spear them down into a dumpster and they break in there.

A few localities do take them in as recycling but not many.

Old 03-25-09, 02:22 AM
R
Bulbs/Tubes

What happens if I just leave them until they do burn out?

Seeing a dumpster was suggested, can I take them outside and break them into a double bagged garbage can?

Old 03-25-09, 09:34 PM
F
If you let the 8 foot slimline bulbs burn out you will overheat the ballast which it did happend from time to time.

Myself I rather not to wait too long for one bulb to burnout the other will follow it pretty quick and always replace the bulbs in pairs instead have one new one and old one in the luminarie it will look little funny by using one by one so it depending on how many luminaires you have in the garage and some case it cheaper to buy in case qaulinty { useally come in set anywhere from 10 to 30 depending on what size and type of bulbs it come in package.}

The other advanage is when ya get case qualinty you don't have to worry about transportation for each bulb when one burnout can swap the other one and fill that box up with burnout bulbs and you can get rid at all at once if you are near recycle centre or some place can take it in they will be more than happy to take the burnout bulb in without much issue however commercal/industrail customers have diffrent set of rules to follow than resdentail customer.

It kinda long winded story I have to find that link when I get back to the states.

Merci,Marc

Old 03-26-09, 02:09 AM
R
A case it will be.

Thanks

Old 03-26-09, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Wow...a case? Do you have more than one fixture? A case will prob be enough bulbs for one fixture for about 20 years of normal use.

Old 03-26-09, 07:28 AM
R
Yes, after I posted I realized I would not live long enough to use them. Will go to Lowes and see what I can find.

Thanks

Old 03-26-09, 07:56 AM
S
Standard case quantity of F96T12 is 30 tubes.

I've never seen them sold any way but singles but you never know.

First thing you want to do at Lowe's is find out if they'll help you handle the tubes or if it's just up to you.

At a real hardware store they will give you some help with tape,string,fitting them in your car etc.

Old 03-26-09, 11:27 AM
R
It is my mission for tomorrow, or rip out the fixture and put 2 4 foot ones in.

Thanks

Old 03-26-09, 12:07 PM
S
Obviously there's a labor intensive side to doing that but FYI you'll spend more for two 96 in tubes than for 4 48 inch tubes.Plus they are far easier to handle and carried anywhere that sells light bulbs pretty much.

Also you get a wide range of choices as far as wattage and color effect is concerned.

At where I work two F40T12CW sells for 2.49.

Last edited by spdavid; 03-26-09 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 12:40 PM
R
So many choice.

Thanks

Old 03-26-09, 11:05 PM
F
Originally Posted by spdavid
Standard case quantity of F96T12 is 30 tubes.

I've never seen them sold any way but singles but you never know.

First thing you want to do at Lowe's is find out if they'll help you handle the tubes or if it's just up to you.

At a real hardware store they will give you some help with tape,string,fitting them in your car etc.

If you check with big box store some will stock 10 tube case qualinty and they do that pretty often and I can able get in either 10 or 30 tube case qualinty depending on the numbers of luminaries it is in there.

Most of my commercal customer useally get full case qualinty { typically 25 or 30 tubes depending on the size and type }
I go thru a bit of them the last commercal building I work on I went thru 50 case worth of them { yeah all are 8 footers }

Merci,Marc

Old 03-27-09, 08:28 AM
S
I can only speak for Ace Hardware not HD or Lowe's (obviously within the US) and in F96T12 case quantity is 30 and no other package sizes exist.

That doesn't mean it isn't out there somewhere but I can't get anything but that and Ace is the largest of the hardware wholesalers.

Old 03-27-09, 09:23 AM
R
I'll you know I find out.

Old 03-27-09, 10:38 AM
R
Here is the deal, the non HO come in a flimsy 2 pack, but it is something. HO's 10 count carton, or 1 bare bulb. Looks like I need tape up the fixture box and make my own carrier.

Thanks one and all.

Old 03-28-09, 03:23 AM
R
New idea. What about putting them in a couple pieces of PVC pipe and taping the ends of the pipe?

Old 03-28-09, 09:44 AM
S
You mean to transport them? If the pvc is close to the tube size so the tubes don't rattles around in them then maybe.It certainly would protect from impact as long as the tubes don't impact the pvc too hard.

Remember that the tubes have prongs on the end that could penetrate tape and cause it to split.An idea might be to intentionally poke the prong through the tape so the end cap was stuck to the tape.

If you use duct tape you'd have to make the holes but if you use clear packing tape it might poke through.

We keep long boxes like boxes moulding comes in for this stuff.The big boxes all have waste cardboard contracts so they usually don't keep anything.

Old 03-28-09, 11:09 AM
R
Was thinking about an 1 1/2", or maybe 2" pipe and then tape a layer of bubble pack around the tube. Then slide them in.

Don't believe the HO bulbs have the prongs sticking out, they seem to be enclosed in plastic.

I'll give it some more thought.

Thanks

Old 03-28-09, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Hey..here's a good thing. Are the tubes exposed when installed in the fixture? If they are, you should get some protective sleeves on them anyway. Buy the sleeves and caps at the same time and transport the tubes inside. May need to tape the caps on temporarily.

Old 03-28-09, 11:27 AM
S
You do realize that the tubes with the plastic end pieces and the ones with just a single exposed prong don't fit the same fixtures right?

The single prong type is far more common especially for residential uses.I have seen people take commercial fixtures and use them at home or in a shed etc as it can often be easy to find them being tossed during building remodels and the like.The plastic end version is generally commercial.

Agree with the protective sleeve idea.

Old 03-28-09, 02:27 PM
R
Gun,
Yes they are exposed, I did see the covers at Lowe's but had no clue what they were. Sounds like it might be a plan.

SP,
This must be a commercial type. The guy I bought the house from was a contractor, so wouldn't surprise me that this came from one of his commercial job. I had never seen this type of bulb before, so was surprised no prong.

Thanks

Old 03-28-09, 11:22 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I think I'd just replace the fixtures with two new 48-inch 2- or 4-lamp devices. Eight years is a good use-life.

Old 03-29-09, 07:19 AM
R
I guess the answer is, use the fixture box to get rid of the 96" bulbs (they will take at our land fill), bring the box back, then take the fixture back. Get my credit and go the 4 ' route.

My project for Monday.

Thanks

Old 03-29-09, 08:35 AM
S
4 foot strip fixtures,hard wire, and shoplites,which just plug in,are often promotional items.Shop around.

Spring is when all the big box and real hardware stores run sales and 4 ft fixtures are often part of those.

Old 03-30-09, 12:35 AM
F
Just becarefull some shoplight luminaire are very cheap and useally don't put out very bright light as commercal grade luminarie will dish out.

I not being rude in here but I went thru alot of the shoplight luminaires when my customer complain not very bright all I do is throw them away and get a very good quanty one I know they cost more but long run you end up good light set up without any issue which my customer were happy with it after make a change.

Merci,Marc

Old 03-30-09, 09:37 AM
R
The Final Chapter

Went to Lowes got new 96" HO put them in the fixture box and brought home and installed. Took the old ones put in the fixture box and took to the dump.

Bet you are all glad this thread is over.

Show how wishy washy I really am.

Thanks

Old 03-30-09, 08:38 PM
F
Originally Posted by Russgill
Went to Lowes got new 96" HO put them in the fixture box and brought home and installed. Took the old ones put in the fixture box and took to the dump.

Bet you are all glad this thread is over.

Show how wishy washy I really am.

Thanks
The only gotcha with HO's { High output } is that you can not have the strip luminaire mounted driect aginst the surface you have to keep a inch and half gap to keep the ballast from getting overheated { it will menton that in the installment manual }

Merci,Marc

Old 03-31-09, 03:19 AM
R
french277V;1546778]The only gotcha with HO's { High output } is that you can not have the strip luminaire mounted driect aginst the surface you have to keep a inch and half gap to keep the ballast from getting overheated { it will menton that in the installment manual }

Merci,Marc
The fixture didn't have a manual, not surprised as the first one didn't even have all the parts.

If it last as long as the other one, I won't have to worry about it.

Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: