Broan QTR140: Can it be installed on a wall?

Old 03-30-09, 10:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broan QTR140: Can it be installed on a wall?

Hello:

I just purchased a Broan Bathroom Exhaust Fan, Model QTR-140 and the guy at Lowes said it could be installed on a wall instead of the ceiling. I came home and opened up the box and read the instructions and the instructions only talk about a ceiling installation. I am not sure if common sense means that I can install it on my bathroom wall (no crawl space above 2nd story bathroom ceiling) or if the directions lack of discussion regarding a wall installation means that it can't be installed sideways on a wall.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your help - I love this site!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-09, 04:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I doubt you will be able to get into the 3 1/2" confines of a wall. Then what will you do with the exhaust? It is not a through-the-wall design, so you have to send it somewhere. If you need one to exit the wall, I would get one dedicated for that purpose. Broan may have some online, but I don't think you will find them at the big box stores.

Old 03-31-09, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broan QTR 140

I should have stated that the wall in the bathroom opens to the attic (12 foot ceiling in the bathroom) so plenty of room to install it on the 3 1/2 studs (my plan was to screw-in two 2"X8" boards over the existing 2"x4"s).

I am just worried that the fan motor is designed only to hang from a ceiling and if I mount it on its side the motor won't last as long and/or burn out.

Old 03-31-09, 01:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you've got the installation figured out, good. The motor doesn't care which position it is sitting in. It is light enough so there won't be much weight on the bearings, and when it spools up, it is balanced. I don't understand the 2x8 boards over the 2x4's however. You may want to clarify that.

Old 03-31-09, 06:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
The reason it may not mention a wall mount option is due to the steam removal would not be as effective as it would be below the level of the steam.

If this is only to remove odor I see no problem with it in the wall.