Modified Bathroom Fan/Light Wiring Advice Requested

Old 04-18-09, 10:50 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Modified Bathroom Fan/Light Wiring Advice Requested

I am installing a replacement bathroom fan/light. The previous fan did not have a light. It was controlled by a switch in a two switch box that also controlled the light above the sink. Due to the type of construction it is too much of a hassle to run the proper wiring to control the fan with a separate dual fan/light control switch. I would like to wire this new fan/light to operate from the old switch. I do not need to independently control the fan and the light separately. I am content to have the fan/light on or off at the same time. But I am electrically ignorant.

The fan is a Broan 683L. Here is the installation guide for the 679 model which has an identical wiring diagram. I could not find the install guide for the 683L.

Here is a cut out from that guide:

I am thinking that I can connect the blue and black wires together in the fan unit and connect them to the black power source line, and connect both white fan/light wires to the white power source line.

Did I burn the house down?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-18-09, 11:05 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Nothing wrong with wiring them up together.. you just dont have independant control of them.

You're good to go.

On somewhat of a similar note.. I installed a fan/light combo in my old bathroom, but wired it independent switching. The problem is, that it's a heatlamp/fan type unit. Sometimes we turn on the heatlamp and *not* the fan unit. I think the fan unit serves to cool the heatlamp, and they should be running together (or at least fan only, or fan+lamp .. but not heatlamp only).
One time I was in the shower with just the lamp on (the other mirror-lights were not on).. and the lamp glass separated from the base and fell to the floor. Nice.. naked and in the pitch black with glass all over the floor.
I still think it was from running the heatlamp w/o the cooling effect of the fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: