Recessed Lights (Remodel) question

Old 04-23-09, 12:38 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed Lights (Remodel) question

I have a question and everything I know says it is simple but for the life of me I can't figure it out..and before I break something I figured I better ask. I have searched and searched about removing remodel canned lights and the few articles/post I have seen say it is simple, just remove the clips...well, I can't figure that part out. Is there some secret to getting the clips to release, since when you install you push up to a locking position? I want to take one of mine out to access the floor joist on the second story (instead of punching out a new hole) and I have given it a couple of attempts but I just can't get it to move....if you have a trick...please let me know....Thanks...Mike

Old 04-23-09, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
They can be a bit tough. What you need to do it use a needle nose pliers. Insert one side in the hole of the black holding clip and then pull down while at the same time bending toward the center of the can.

Another technique is to slip a screwdriver between the can and the black clip to get it started and then finish with grabbing the sides with a pliers and pull down and toward the center.

Old 04-23-09, 04:15 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks tolyn....I have had the needle nose pliers out, screwdrivers, etc and I feel like I have tried to pull and push from every angle but I have been a bit delicate....you say they can be tough so maybe I'm just being too conservative....I will give it a go with your advice again and not take "no" for an answer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: