Attic fan not working, has power

Old 04-27-09, 03:45 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic fan not working, has power

Quick question. My attic fan is not working but has power going to it. I tested the wires going to the fan and got a good 120v reading. The fan will move, though a little tough to turn. Not having much experience with these things I have no clue. Any insight? I should add that there are two wires coming from the fan, a black and a white. They are hooked up to wires running along the attic and into where the attic light is. Most likely a rig job by the previous owner, but there is power none the less.

Old 04-27-09, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Motor is shot..bearings most likely. You can get new motors for vent fans almost anywhere (HD, Lowes, hardware stores). If its a whole house fan or a mushroom vent fan, you may need to go to a Grainger store or just replace the whole unit.

Old 04-27-09, 04:05 PM
J
You might not have "power". Chance are that you tested for "voltage". To get "power", you need both voltage and a complete circuit.

Does the fan make any noise at all or move at all when you turn it on? If the motor is shot, you would usually get at least a slight hum.

Chance are that it's a "little tough to turn" only because you're turning the motor as well as the blades.

You could try turning off the breaker, connecting the two wires that connect to the fan to an simple $3 naked-bulb fixture from the home center, and see if it will light the bulb. That would truly tell you if you had "power".

Old 05-01-09, 04:11 PM
R
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
You might not have "power". Chance are that you tested for "voltage". To get "power", you need both voltage and a complete circuit.

Does the fan make any noise at all or move at all when you turn it on? If the motor is shot, you would usually get at least a slight hum.

Chance are that it's a "little tough to turn" only because you're turning the motor as well as the blades.

You could try turning off the breaker, connecting the two wires that connect to the fan to an simple $3 naked-bulb fixture from the home center, and see if it will light the bulb. That would truly tell you if you had "power".
To be perfectly honest I do not see any switch to turn it on or off. The attached thermostat is a blank box with nothing on it. Not sure if I can post a pic on here so you guys can see what I am dealing with, but if so let me know how and I can do it. The two wires going directly to the fan definitely have power. There is no hum or anything, but again I don't know if there is a switch that I have to turn on.

Old 05-02-09, 01:08 PM
J
So I repeat the suggestion in my last paragraph. You assert that "the two wires going directly to the fan definitely have power" but you don't say how you "definitely" determined that.

Old 05-03-09, 01:01 PM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Fan

Is this a belt driven fan/motor combination? If so, the belt tension has probably shot the fan bearings. I had this happen. I installed central heat and air and got rid of the fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: