Install a ceiling fan and wall switch

Old 04-29-09, 04:51 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Install a ceiling fan and wall switch

Hey All,

I have a room that I'd like to install ceiling fan in. The room is on the second floor and is NOT currently wired for a ceiling fan. I have access to the attic so installing ceiling fan braces is no problem.

There's 1 light switch in the room which controls a wall receptacle. I would like to do the following:

-Augment the existing light switch from 1 to 3.
-Switch 1 would continue to control the wall receptacle (no change there)
-Switch 2 would control the fan
-Switch 3 would control the fan lights

I have read the following article but it's not quite the same as my situation: Home Wiring Questions about Ceiling Fans | DoItYourself.com

So, my question is... Can I setup a new ceiling fan (with the configuration I mentioned above) without running new wires from my electrical panel (which is in the basement)? If so, can I use the power from the existing light switch?

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks in advance

Wuthless

Old 04-29-09, 05:37 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We deal with this exact question several times a week. The first thing to do is to shut off the breaker, gently pull the switch out of the box without disconnecting any of the wires, and tell us everything you see--every cable, every wire, every connection, and not merely the connections to the switch but all the connections in the box. Once we have that information, we can start to advise you.

Also, tell us whether only half of the receptacle is currently switched, or whether both halves are switched.

And thank you for filling in your location before we asked!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: