Advice on what kind of recessed fixtures to install in kitchen remodel

Old 05-01-09, 01:34 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Advice on what kind of recessed fixtures to install in kitchen remodel

We are remodeling our kitchen and want to install recessed lights to replace the single fluorescent light. We went to Lowes to see what they had, but the guy there only confused me.

Here's some details:
  • I have access to the attic directly above the kitchen, so I can get up there to run wiring, install fixtures.
  • The rafters are 24" on center.
  • I'd like insulation contact rated cans so I can put all the insulation back (pink fiberglass).
  • The kitchen is small (10' x 12') so I don't think I need the big 6" cans, probably 4" or maybe 5" cans would work (only planning on a total of 6 cans).

I had envisioned in my head using the new construction model cans with the adjustable arms that you nail into the rafters since I have easy attic access, but the sales guy was showing me more of the remodel units that are fairly smaller that you just install from below. Our cabinet salesman said the lighting guy was new and I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about.

So I'm guess I'm just looking for some basic guidance or a point in the right direction on how to get started and which fixtures to use. Our new cabinets are being delivered June 3rd, and I want the lights done before then.

Thanks.

Mark

Old 05-02-09, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I do not believe they make a 4" remodel can that is IC rated. At least I have never been able to find them. I'm not sure of 5" either.

New construction you can get 4"-6" in IC rated. You may want to get air tight too. If you have easy access to the attic, and you don't mind working up there, there is nothing wrong with using new work cans. Just make sure you have enough room around your framing and cut your holes from below so you don't bust your ceiling to large.

I don't think the Lowes guy was giving you bad info. Most cases when you have a finished ceiling you install remodel cans. You have a unique situation where you have a easily accessible attic.

Old 05-04-09, 05:27 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
We ended up getting Utilitech 4" IC and air sealed new construction units and then separate trim kits. Exactly what I had planned. Went to another Lowes and the lighting manager helped and he was much more clear in his explanations than the first guy I talked to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: