wiring 3 rocker switch to multiple lights

Old 05-01-09, 09:35 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring 3 rocker switch to multiple lights

this is a remodel. i have an existing light in my bathroom. i am adding a fan light combo. the light has its own wires white and black and the switch has its own wires white and black. i want to make sure that i understand what the basics are. i need to run power black into common on 3 rocker switch then run a hot wire (black) to each 1 for light #1, 1 for fan and 1 for light #2. then i just connect all the white wires together and all should work, correct? i assume that if need be that i could connect the two existing black wires together to assure a complete circuit.

Old 05-02-09, 04:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You say the 3 rocker switch has only one black and one white wire on it? It should have no wires, but screw heads, one odd colored. Verify this for us. The hot wire will be connected to the odd colored (common) screw, the black wires from each of the light/fan/light will connect to the three screws, usually gold, and the grounding wires will be twisted together, leaving one long, capped with a grounding cap (with a hole in the middle) and the long grounding wire attached to the grounding screw. All the whites will be bundled and capped together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: