basement lighting

Old 05-23-09, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basement lighting

I am new to this site. Hope I am in the right place. I have just bought a house that I have started working on. I noticed the 14/2 lighting circuit is run through the whole basement. What I see though is that they took 12/2 off each light in 3 rooms and ran it for the switch. They would bypass each light to continue the circuit. Is this code compliant. The 14/2 is ran to a 15 amp breaker.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-09, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Midwesterner!

Yes. As long at the breaker is sized to the smallest wire in the circuit, in your case 14ga on a 15 amp breaker, it is ok. I avoid mixing wire sizes because it just leads to confusion down the road.

Old 05-24-09, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tolyn Ironhand,
Thank you for the reply. I am a perfectionest on remodeling and I was sick when I seen it. I ran 2 other 12/2 20 amp circuits. One has 5 outlets and 2 lights 1020 watts total . It has a air compressor on it. I wanted it with little other load. My last house the compressor always tripped the breaker. The other circuit has 6 can lights and 1 regular light with 5 outlets 1320 watts total. Using the 20 amp circuit/1920watt/80% this should all be ok right?
Thanks the Drudge

Old 05-24-09, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by The Drudge View Post
I ran 2 other 12/2 20 amp circuits. One has 5 outlets and 2 lights 1020 watts total . It has a air compressor on it. I wanted it with little other load. My last house the compressor always tripped the breaker. The other circuit has 6 can lights and 1 regular light with 5 outlets 1320 watts total. Using the 20 amp circuit/1920watt/80% this should all be ok right?
Thanks the Drudge
That should be just fine. I prefer to put the lights and outlets on different circuits but there is nothing wrong, Code wise, of how you have your circuits set up.