adding 2nd switch bathroom fan/light combo

Old 05-28-09, 11:18 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adding 2nd switch bathroom fan/light combo

I think my answer is that I need 12/3 wire and I have 14/2 but here goes:

I want to add a fan/light combo where currently there was a single pole light switch operating a single light fixture.

I want to operate the original light separate from the fan/light combo, I don't mind if the fan and light combo in the new unit are on at the same time.

Wall switch has two wires and a ground. Light fixture has two wires and a ground. They both appear to be black, but they are very old and dirty.

Fan/light combo has two whites , a black and a blue, no ground wire, only grounding screw. Black/white combo operate fan, blue/white combo operate light.

I installed a two pole combo switch. On the first switch using 14/2 wire, connected the light the way it was previously wired.

On the second switch, I wired the fan unit with the blue and black connected together to the black on the 14/2, connected the two white wires to the white on the 14/2 and the ground wire on the 14/2. I did not ground to the green nut on the combo fixture.

The fan/light combo worked but not the way I want it to. When I turned on the switch that was supposed to only turn on the light it turned on the wall light and the light in the fan unit. The second switch operates the fan while the light switch is on, but not by itself.

Where did i go wrong? Do I need 12/3 wire to do this right?

Old 05-29-09, 04:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You will need 14-3 to make separate operation possible. But if you want the fan and light to operate at the same time, tie the blue and black from the fan/light to the black from the switch, and the neutrals together. I am assuming your power comes through the switch.

Old 05-29-09, 08:26 AM
S
I do want the wall light to operate independent of the light/fan combo. I'll pick up some 14/3.

What about the wiring at the switches? I tried to follow the schematic, but it's more than my brain can handle.

Also, I was connecting directly to the wall switch, so I assume this means I have power at the switch?

Old 05-29-09, 03:56 PM
Your double switch (assuming that will be your choice) will have an andonized or black screw. This is where you will attach your hot wire inbound. Remember, neutrals have nothing to do with switching, so they are bundled together and capped so they are continuous. Now, with your 14-3 in place, hook your red wire to the blue in the fan and to one of the brass screws on the switch. Likewise, hook the black wire to the black wire in your fan/light and hook it to the other brass screw on the switch. This way you have a common hot wire furnishing power to both switches, but you are breaking that connection with each switch, one to the fan and the other to the light. Let us know if we can help further.

Old 05-29-09, 04:28 PM
S
I get the fan connections.

For the switches, I will have one hot lead to the black screw, one red to brass, one black to brass, and white neutrals pigtailed (tied) together, not attached to the switches.

Old 05-30-09, 02:45 PM
S
I wired it this way and this is what happens:

With both switches turned on I get the wall light only.
With only one switch turned on I get the wall light and fan.
With only the other switch turned on I get only the fan light.

What I WANT to happen is:

Wall light only one switch on
Fan/light combo only one switc on
Wall light and fan/light combo same time - both switches on.

I thought this wiring setup would give me this but it doesn't (or I have wired it wrong).

Old 05-30-09, 04:41 PM
I think we skipped over the "wall light"thingy. With 14-3 you can only control two items....ie. fan, light, wall light, but not all three. Now, you did state you didn't mind if the fan/light combo ran at the same time. If that is the case, then you can tie the blue and black in that unit to the black in the 14-3 and run the red wire in the 14-3 to the wall light. That way you will have the wall light on one switch and the fan/light combo on the other one. You will need another switch to separate all of them into individual controls.

Old 05-30-09, 09:26 PM
S
Will this wiring work if I buy a standard fan without the light?

Not sure why I bought the combo unit anyway

Last edited by Stumped1; 05-30-09 at 11:53 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-31-09, 04:47 AM
Yeah, how far apart are the fan/light combo and wall light? If more than a few feet, you can run a 14-2 to each fixture and run them from each switch. The 14-3 was a suggestion in case you wanted to split the fan and light in the combo. Now, more stuff.....you can buy a triple switch that will handle the fan in the combo, light in the combo and the wall light, too. It will just require 14-3 to the combo and an additional 14-2 to the wall light. Look at Buy 3 - Function Fan/Light Control Switch With Function ID Modules - White - TM8111-WCC | P&S TM8111-WCC for example.

Old 05-31-09, 11:03 AM
S
I'll take a stab at separating the combo unit and wall light with the 14-3. All I need to do is run the red, white and ground to the wall light, correct? Then I'll be left with one extra black that I would cap off.

If it doesn't work, I like the idea of 2 separate 14-2. The run is about the same distance to each fixture.

Do I need to enclose the wiring in the attic with conduit or antything ? I was planning to just staple the wires to the joists.

Thanks.

Old 05-31-09, 10:29 PM
S
Tried unsuccessfully to run the 14-3 to the wall light. Ran the 14-3 to the lamp/fan combo, then 14-2 to the light (assumed I didn't need the extra wire).

This setup trips the breaker. Don't know if this is what caused the breaker to trip, but I noticed that the wall light only has two wires coming from the wall, someone has attempted to create a ground by running some copper wire from the wall lamp to the lamps mounting bracket.

I have knob & tube if this helps in troubleshooting (probably should have mentioned this in my first post).

I will scrap the combo fixture (baseball bat recycling method) and just go with a fan unit.

Old 08-25-09, 12:22 AM
S
bulbs blowing after install

Had this installed by an electrician. Shortly after install 2 incandescent lights went out and 1 CFL flickers.

Related to the install? What is the solution?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: