install ceiling fan w remote wall switch

Old 05-29-09, 03:18 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
install ceiling fan w remote wall switch

hello, i am having trouble installing a hampton bay ceiling fan that has a remote control wall switch. i live in texas.

previously there was a ceiling light controlled with a wall switch. the remote switch (transmitter) has two black wires and a green wire. one black wire is marked "connect to power" and the other "connect to fan." the outlet box has a black wire and a white wire. the white wire is actually the power because it is a switch leg and the black carries the power back to the ceiling fixture. there are no neutral or ground wires in the outlet box. so i connected the white wire to the wire marked "to power" and the black wire to the wire marked "to fan." i have a testing device which confirmed that the white wire was live.

in the ceiling box there are 2 white wires and 2 black wires. one of the whites is connected to one of the blacks, and the other white and the other black are hanging loose. i connected the white wire to the white wire of the receiver and the black wire to the black wire of the receiver. on the other end of the receiver are a black wire, a white wire and a blue wire. i connected these to the black, white and blue wires of the fan respectively. the blue is for the light, although i have not yet installed a light kit. (waiting for a particular style to come in, but wanted the fan right away).

the remote does not seem to work. there is no response when i press any of the buttons. there is a little red led and the instructions say that it should glow when a button is pressed but that does not happen either. i checked the connections on the switch. there is also a chain switch on the outside of the fan and i tried that in several positions.

what should i do next? i am thinking the switch (transmitter) is defective since the led does not glow when a button is pressed.

Old 05-29-09, 09:42 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
the outlet box has a black wire and a white wire. the white wire is actually the power because it is a switch leg and the black carries the power back to the ceiling fixture. there are no neutral or ground wires in the outlet box.
Just FYI, the box on the wall is not an "outlet box". Only the box on the ceiling is. The box on the wall is simply a switch box.

All of the connections you describe at the wall and ceiling are correct.

First, check to see if the switch (transmitter) uses a battery and whether or not you installed one and whether or not it is good. Then, if your fan has pull chain, check to see that it is in the proper position. If all that is okay, then I agree with your assessment that the switch may be defective.

Old 05-29-09, 11:38 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Also check the dip switch setting too that the other common cuprit if not pay attetion to it.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: