metal halide bulb replacement

Old 05-29-09, 06:13 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
metal halide bulb replacement

In the place where I work they have several light fixtures that are supposed to use 50w metal halide bulbs, as it says on the sticker on the light fixtures. Seems like these kind of bulbs use a lot of energy, and they cost a lot to replace. What type of more energy-efficient bulbs can I use to replace these and still get the same amount of light from each fixture? Or am I out of luck and would have to replace the whole fixture to do that?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-09, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgull View Post
In the place where I work they have several light fixtures that are supposed to use 50w metal halide bulbs, as it says on the sticker on the light fixtures. Seems like these kind of bulbs use a lot of energy, and they cost a lot to replace. What type of more energy-efficient bulbs can I use to replace these and still get the same amount of light from each fixture? Or am I out of luck and would have to replace the whole fixture to do that?
The 50 watt Metal Halides bulbs are right on the par with compact flourscent bulb.

Which verison you have ? I know some of smaller Metal Halides do have " probe start " and " Pulse start " both are not interchangebale the pulse start useally more brighter and they last little longer than standard old school probe start bulbs.

And to compund it there are few types of orations { postions } and open or enclosed rated bulbs.

The enclosed bulbs are little cheaper but make sure your lumianire have enclosed bottom or whole luminarie is enclosed if that luminarie stated enclosed type the open type can work either way due they have safety shroud in the arc tube the enclosed type do not have safety shroud in there.

As far for bulb life typically about 10~12,000 hours and the lumines { brightness } typically in 3200 lumines range { this number basied on clear bulbs so coated bulbs will be just a smuge lower than that but not much }

to compare the lumines on CFL let me get the common one

something like 26 watts CFL { quadtube format } each one will crank out 1750 lumines to order to match 50 w PSMH you will need two of them to match the lumines and belive or not the life is the same as standard PSMH's is.

Let me get CF-L figrues a 40 watt verison have about 3100 lumines but the bulb life is longer about 18,000 hours

One warning here the bulb lumines { brightness } will varies a bit so you may want to double check with your supplier or big box store to see what brand they carry and ask for the info for lumines and bulb life they should have the info there.

But as I make the point here it will depending on which type of luminaire you will will be using like surface mounted lumiaire or recessed can type etc etc .,,

As far for LED lumianires I don't really have much experince with them yet beside the cost is still on the high side for now but I am sure it may come down one way or other.

If you have more question just holler one of us will help ya

Merci,Marc

Old 05-30-09, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Which verison you have? I know some of smaller Metal Halides do have " probe start " and " Pulse start "
Here's a picture of the luminaire:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1097.jpg

The lamp is clear, and the info on it says Philips 50W R MH50/U/M/4K ALTO

Not sure if it's the pulse start or probe start. All I know is they cost a lot to replace when they burn out. Like over 25 bucks each.

Thanks Marc

Old 05-30-09, 09:22 PM
That sound about right 25 range and with that photo you got there do that luminarie have bottom safety glass there ? if not then you must use the open rated bulbs they are useally little more than standard enclosed bulbs and those luminare are running 24/7 ?

If that the case you need to turn off once a week to cycle it to prevent bulb failure if running more than what the manufacter recomened.

Most 50 watts MH's are useally rated for 10 to 12 K hours { that based on min of 3 hours burning time { running time } if run like 8 to 12 hours a day it will be little longer than that.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-31-09, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
That sound about right 25 range and with that photo you got there do that luminarie have bottom safety glass there ? if not then you must use the open rated bulbs they are useally little more than standard enclosed bulbs and those luminare are running 24/7 ? If that the case you need to turn off once a week to cycle it to prevent bulb failure if running more than what the manufacter recomened. Most 50 watts MH's are useally rated for 10 to 12 K hours { that based on min of 3 hours burning time { running time } if run like 8 to 12 hours a day it will be little longer than that.
Yes, the luminaire has tempered safety glass on the bottom. The luminaires are running approx 9 hours each day (turned off after business hours). This info I found on the lamps we're using says they're rated for 20,000 hours:
MHC50/U/M/4K | MVR50/U/MED | MH 50W/U/PS | 50W Metal Halide Medium Base Bulb 4000K Clear - ProLighting.com

Based on my calculation, I figure these lamps should last six years if they run every day for 9 hours (does that seem right?).

Also, the above site is the least expensive price for replacements I've found, but of course I'd need to buy them in quantity for the cheapest per lamp price.

Our current supplier has a similar bulb available, but not quite the same. It's a Philips 50w MHC50/U/M/3K ALTO (not the 4K as we're using now). And they offer them at $31 each (case of 12 for that price each). If I end up deciding on our supplier, would the 3K be of much significant noticeable difference?

Thanks again.

Old 05-31-09, 08:56 PM
If you run with MHC they will last longer than standard MH's I am suprised they will last that long up to 20K hours noramlly I know they were rated at 15K so they should get your money worth on that.

Now for the other bulb colour which you underlined 3K vs 4K the differnce is colour itself the 4k is same as cool white floursecent bulbs very cool colour while 3K is warm white kinda half way between the flourscent and indentsent bulbs.

you will not note the brightness change just colour tempture that all.

With 20K hour bulb you should get at least 5 years before burn out { yeah they can go 6 years } but I like to replace before it get that far. { and useally cheaper to replace all the bulbs instead doing spot replaceing that will add up labour fast if do spot replaceing this is espcally true with large places}

With 12K hours bulbs you should get at least 3 years before it get burn out.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-31-09, 11:11 PM
Exact replacement for what I have now would be the standard MH, not the MHC as I mistakenly stated in my last post. The least expensive replacement I've found so far is this one for $17.95 each:
ATHALON MH50/U/M/4K/ATH

So I guess I would have to decide what's most cost-effective, to get the more expensive $31 MHC that could last five or maybe six years, or get the standard $17.75 MH that could last three years. We have only six luminaires that use these in the facility. Maybe just go with the cheaper ones for now, I don't know.

Old 06-01-09, 10:49 PM
If they are not super high and hard to reach you can use the standard pulse start MH's they are little cheaper and eaiser to find it.

Due you only have 6 MH luminaires there so pretty simple to do it quick.

Merci,Marc