Question on bathroom fan light

Old 06-01-09, 01:36 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question on bathroom fan light

I just installed a new Broan 679 exhaust fan/light in my bathroom. It calls for a 100 watt (maximum) incandescent bulb -- and by the way, there is an obstruction designed into the reflector to prevent installing an incandescent bulb more than 100 watts. I understand the reason for this -- they don't want you to burn your house down. But here's the problem: because of the reflector design, I am unable to use a 23 watt (100 watt equivalent) CFL bulb. Is it acceptable for me to remove the obstruction in the reflector to accomodate the CFL bulb?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-09, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 78 Posts
I suggest contacting the manufacture.

Old 06-04-09, 05:45 AM
H
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
I suggest contacting the manufacture.
Thanks, but for liability reasons I doubt if the manufacturer will give me the go-ahead to modify their reflector. Perhaps once they realize CFL's are here to stay, they'll design their fixtures to accomodate them. Unless someone in the forum knows of some overriding safety concern, I've pretty much decided to snip out the obstruction and screw in a CFL.

Old 06-04-09, 02:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
To jump on the band wagon, neither will we. Safety devices are installed for a reason, and shouldn't be circumvented. In reality, you can still use a smaller CFL and have adequate lighting. What type bulb are you trying to use? If one of those double loop long ones, why not opt for a squirelly rounder one? 100 watts is alot of light from a bath fan light.

Old 06-05-09, 08:42 AM
H
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
To jump on the band wagon, neither will we. Safety devices are installed for a reason, and shouldn't be circumvented. In reality, you can still use a smaller CFL and have adequate lighting. What type bulb are you trying to use? If one of those double loop long ones, why not opt for a squirelly rounder one? 100 watts is alot of light from a bath fan light.
Yeah, as I said in my original post, I know the safety device is there for a reason -- to keep you from installing an incandescent bulb larger than 100 watts.... and I don't want to install an incandescent bulb of any kind. But I want the lighting (lumens) to be equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent bulb because it will be the only light in the room (this fan/light combination is replacing a light fixture that had a 100 watt bulb in it). Over the past five years, as they burn out, I've replaced all the incandescent bulbs in my house with CFL's. But because Broan hasn't changed their fan/light design for 60 years, I can't use a CFL in it that will give me the same illumination as a 100 watt incandescent bulb. Shame on Broan. The safety device comes out, the 23 watt (100 watt equivalent) CFL goes in.

Old 06-05-09, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
Keep looking around at different CFL's. I noticed just the other day that another brand (GE I believe at Target) looked to be quite a bit smaller in size that others I have seen of the same wattage. They may fit better.

Old 06-05-09, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Maybe its a bad thing...but I'd probably cut out the blockage and install the lamp I wanted. I'd prob seal it with sheetmetal if it left some sort of gap. Less heat, right light.

I've also cut the plug off extension cords to attach to things...not UL approved..but it works. We even used to have cords with alligator clips instead of connectors...sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do

Old 06-05-09, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Oh lord! did you connect those alligator clips directly to the bus bars of the electrical panel?

Old 06-06-09, 12:38 AM
F
hoosierneighbor.,

There are quite few diffrent size of CFL there on market and yeah they did shrink in sizewise now so you should able get that size without too much issue.

But there is a nice gotcha read the label on the CFL some are not approved to use in the enclosed lumiaires so that something else you have to watch out on that part.

Gunguy., I allready heard and seen it alot of crazy stuff what some people do with alligator clips espcally on the bussbar on the loadcentre { I did went after few flooring contractors they done that with their big floor sanders and about little over a thrid of them I end up replaceing the load center .,, yeah brand new one }

Merci,Marc

Old 06-06-09, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
No guys...we weren't that crazy...not quite. It was back in my Navy days. We'd cut the receptical end off, attach alligator clips (or probes or whatever) and leave the plug. We called them cheaters. Normally each tech would have one specific for his equipment.

Sometimes the only way we could get power to bench test stuff normally installed in a rack.

I'm sure now everything is so perfectly designed that it wouldn't be needed...yeah RIGHT!