New recessed lights: GU24 or screw base?

Old 06-01-09, 02:43 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New recessed lights: GU24 or screw base?

Hi,

as part of my new home addition I'll be putting in a number of recessed light fixtures. I'm in CA and have to follow the title 24 codes, but I can use incandescent fixtures in my living room & bedroom if I use a dimmer.
I'd like to use CFLs everywhere, but I don't like the government imposing a different bayonet mount/GU24 bulb mount just to control that I can never screw in an old-style bulb. I'm also afraid that if screw-socket stays the predominant socket, all the future new developments such as high-output CFLs and affordable LED bulbs are going to be more widespread and cheaper in standard screw-socket. Also, the CFL/GU24 fixtures are much more expensive, but that's not my primary concern.

What is your recommendation, screw-socket with CFL bulb or GU24 fixture? Do you know if GU24 will become a nationwide standard, or is this a California-only thing?

Thanks,
Alex

Old 06-03-09, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I would go with the standard Edison base fixture. I had to google what a GU/24 base was so I think it will be quite a while before it becomes a nation wide requirement. As you pointed out, you can get most CFL's in Edison base and I have seen the new LED bulbs with the standard base as well.

Old 06-03-09, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
From my limited knowledge of CA Title 24 codes screw in CFLs do not meet the requirements for kitchens and baths. The fixture must be designed to only accept a energy efficient bulb type.

Old 06-08-09, 12:10 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i always go with pin-based CFL's when i have a choice

they provide better starting than the lamps with integral ballasts IMO

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: