help, installing a street light in yard..electrical help

Old 06-17-09, 03:20 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking help, installing a street light in yard..electrical help

I purchased a streetlight for my yard and am having a problem wiring it to the circuit breaker. The bulb is 100watts mercury vapor bulb. 120volts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-17-09, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
ang...
What kind of problem exactly...??

Won't light? Digging the ground? Running the wire?

Theres a lot of things that need to be done correctly for an exterior light. Could you give more details on what exactly you are doing? Type of wire, colors in the wire, what size breaker, etc etc etc...?

No Pro..but they need more info to even begin to answer your question.

Old 06-17-09, 06:36 PM
F
Originally Posted by angameena View Post
I purchased a streetlight for my yard and am having a problem wiring it to the circuit breaker. The bulb is 100watts mercury vapor bulb. 120volts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Where did you get it from ?

Normally the resdential dusk to dawn luminaire useally are wired for 120 volts { very few will have other voltage options }

And some of the Dusk to Dawn luminaires will have multi voltage tap if you are on wrong voltage it may not lit up at all.

Is the photocell is working ?
{ asumsed that is a twistlock type and three wire verison which it will have black , red and white. the white is for common netural for both ballast and photocell and black is used for incomming line source and red is used for switched load aka to the ballast or other source }

Merci,Marc

Old 06-18-09, 10:33 AM
A
Hey there, I bought it from the local utility company. I hooked it up to a 30 amp breaker and it wont light up...I taped up the photo cell but I think im not hooking it at the breaker right or need a two pole breaker...The light has three wires, black, white and ground. The photo cell is black red and white...The light is brand new so I think the error is on my part..lol..If more infor is need let me know. thank yall so much.

Last edited by angameena; 06-18-09 at 10:46 AM. Reason: adding details for help
Old 06-18-09, 11:41 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I bought it from the local utility company. I hooked it up to a 30 amp breaker and it wont light up.
Do you mean a real streetlight? Are you sure it is a 120v or did you just put in a 120v bulb? It may be 277v. Did Poco tell you the voltage. Why a 30a breaker? A real 120v mercury light should be on a 15a or 20a breaker.

Old 06-18-09, 04:27 PM
F
Just go up to your lumiaire and look at the ballast connection there is at least 4 voltage connections it can be used it will be on any 4 voltage per manufacter typicaly 120v,208v,240v,277v

some case you will get 480 volt verison but I doubt it for your size of luminaire.

That why I always check the voltage connection before I throw them up on the pole.

You do not use 30 amp breaker that is really silly on that wattage the breaker will not trip if the ballast take the " dump " the 15 or 20 amp breaeker will work just fine with that set up if wired on 120 volt.

Do you have model number with you ?

If so please post it here so one of the pros { including myself } can able tell what conferation it is on.

Merci,Marc

P.S did you say 100 watt Mercury vapour ? btw per DOE { dept of engery } do not allow have brand new luminaire to be on MV anymore so it will be Metal Halide both look very simuair but functionly not the excat the same due Metal Halide is much brighter than Mercury Vapour are { usealy double brightness for watts to watts }

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: