want to install new wiring for a ceiling fan between a switch and outlet

Old 06-29-09, 06:00 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face want to install new wiring for a ceiling fan between a switch and outlet

i added a sunroom to my home and want to install a switch to operate a ceiling fan/light and add one outlet which will not be controled by the switch, i have done all the wiring but i need a little help with the fan kit which is my final wiring. i have the wires coming from the switch to the fan area and i have the wires at the fan area going to the outlet now i need to know which wires to properly connect so i don't mess up.

Old 06-29-09, 06:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Welcome!

Please tell us what wires you have at each box so we can tell if you can get what you want.

From what you posted it sounds like you may not be able to have the receptacle (outlet) hot all the time the way it is now. (wire to switch -> fan box -> receptacle) If things are open we can guide you on what you need to run to accomplish what you want.

Old 06-29-09, 12:27 PM
R
hi, thanks for answering my post. i am running wire 12/2 from my basement (where the live source will come from) this wire is hooked to my switch, greens are grounded i added a short black to the upper nut on my switch which i joined with the black from my power source and the black for the light i joined the white from the power source to the white for the light i then added a red on the lower nut on the switch and ran that to the light (the end is hanging in the ceiling for the light/fan) i then started a scenod line from the ceiling going to the outlet, at the outlet i put the white on the left side upper nut and the black on the right upper nut and grounded the green. so right now i have two lines awaiting to hookup the light/fan. how did i do so far?

Old 06-29-09, 01:15 PM
C
you want your wiring to look something like this:

unless you want to control the fan itself with a separate switch then you'd divide the hot again into switch two and coming out of the switch you hook to the black wire from the fan (blue wire from fan controls lights)

EDIT:

above is the ideal layout. after reading your post again it sounds like you have something like this:

but you need to run the constant hot through the fan box and down to the outlet and I'm not sure that's what you've done I cant tell by reading

Last edited by CaulkFixesAll; 06-29-09 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
If you already have a power source at the switch box you may not need a power in from the breaker box.

Can you describe the colors and number of wires in the switch box, before you added any.

Old 06-29-09, 03:22 PM
Group Moderator
You didn't mention what wiring method you used but you need one more wire up to your fan box. This wire will be hot all the time. You will connect it to the wire going to the receptacle (outlet) If you have conduit you can just add a wire. If not, I suggest getting a piece or 12/3 NM-B to make the run from the switch box to the fan box.

Caulk's 2nd picture lays out what you need to do.

Old 06-30-09, 04:09 AM
R
Red face

your postings are great, thank you. the second drawing is what i have, i did run a second wire (red) from the switch to the fan. in the ceiling do i now connect the red to the black and blue from the fan, connect the white from fan to the white from switch and the white to the outlet and connect the black from the switch to black outlet and connect all grounds?????

Old 06-30-09, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by rosenjune
in the ceiling do i now connect the red to the black and blue from the fan, connect the white from fan to the white from switch and the white to the outlet and connect the black from the switch to black outlet and connect all grounds?????
All correct!

To confuse you more you could also connect the black of the fan to the hot black and connect the red to the blue of the fan. The switch will then control the light on the fan and the fan itself be controlled by the pull chain. You do not have to do this it is only if you want to run the fan with out the light on.

Old 06-30-09, 09:49 AM
R
Smile

thank you everyone !!!!!!!!!!
your advise was wonderful, now i can get my husband to connect my wiring to the main source. ( i'm way too chicken to fool with live wires). thanks ever so much. Beer 4U2

Old 06-30-09, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
No problem.
You should really shut off the power at the circuit breaker/fuse to make your connections.
Let us know if you have any more problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: