I need to hang a heavy chandelier

Old 06-30-09, 08:10 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I need to hang a heavy chandelier

I need to hang a heavy chandelier on 20 ft ceiling. With all crystals attached, it will weigh at least one hundred pounds. What is the best way? How does professionals do? I know some use electrical motor but it will be too much.
I am thinking about installing a pulley or use a long chain and lift one at a time. Your advice will be appreciated,

Kevin

Old 06-30-09, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Install the fixture as bare bones as you can. No crystals or "extra" things that you can install after the fixture is hanging.

There a few ways you can hang the fixture. You can rent some scaffolding which would be the safest if you have the room. Otherwise a tall step ladder or two if you have a friend which you could also rent.

You need to make sure your box in the ceiling can handle the weight of the fixture. Namely, you should have wood framing to run some long/lag screws into.

Old 06-30-09, 08:34 PM
B
Is there anyway to raise it after all crystals installed? I think it will be difficult to put the cryatalls after it was raised. Has anyone tried pulley system?

Old 06-30-09, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
I think in very large mansions with vast entryways they would have a chandler that hung from a pulley system to aid in lowering it for cleaning and changing of lamps. The fixture would be designed to be hung this way. Is yours such a fixture? If not you would have to climb up to disconnect the wires to lower it anyway so besides aiding you in hanging the fixture I don't really see how a pulley would help you. Plus you would have the hole in the ceiling form the pulley hardware.

Old 06-30-09, 11:05 PM
F
There is a chanilder pulley system on market but give me a day or so to find the info with this and btw IIRC this have to be installed by qualified person.

But once it installed it will be a brezze with it.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-01-09, 11:47 PM
B
Hi,

I have seen the mortorized winch for chandeliers on internet but I am looking for a basic, manual method (Pulley?) to raise the chandelier. I have a space to set up a couple of ladders and wire the electrical lines. I have access to the ceiling where I can install an electrical box.I wonder if anyone has dused pulley to raise the chanelier. Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: