bury exterior pipes while house is dug up?

Old 07-02-09, 10:57 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
bury exterior pipes while house is dug up?

I'm at the end of a project where my entire house is dug up and just waiting for the last few inches of topsoil and new grass to be installed. I had a new drainage system put in so thats covered with rocks and a felt pad (to prevent dirt from clogging the stones)

I really dont know what i'm going to do with outside lighting but was wondering if it would be a good idea to lay some pipe around my perimeter before they fill up the space around my house with a few inches of dirt? I guess ever 10 ft or so id have a T that came up and stuck out of the ground (then would slice it off to make it level with the new dirt)

Just tossing out ideas here..i dont want to have all this new dirt and grass be put in and then say darn, why didnt i do that?

But then again, how easy would it be to fish wire through buried PVC anyway?

looking for any input.

Old 07-02-09, 01:37 PM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Conduit

Install a pull cord inside the conduit when it is installed to aid in pulling the wire.

Old 07-02-09, 04:51 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Make sure the pipe is oversized for the wiring you will be installing as 90 degree tees will be hard to pull through without tearing up the sheathing on the wire. You can always reduce the size right at ground level after you pull the wires through so you can install the box.

Old 07-02-09, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
The T's cannot be buried. You need access to remove the sideplate so that wires can be pulled in.

Old 07-03-09, 05:34 AM
L
ok then it sounds like i should just wait to figure out what my plan is and dig stuff up if i need to. I'm working on interior projects now so unsure when ill get to the outside

Old 07-03-09, 07:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
I will also add that the minimum burial depth for conduit or cables is 12" if GFI protected, unless under 2" or more of concrete. This does not apply to driveways.

Other conditions require deeper depths. Either way a few inches of topsoil is not deep enough.

Old 07-04-09, 05:30 AM
L
well then that ship has sailed, i'm not getting 12 inches of topsoil and i'm not going to dig into the membrane that has covered my stones and new drainage system

though i dont really know what to do now because i want to be able to mow around the lights.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: