remote won't power lights?

Old 07-06-09, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question remote won't power lights?

I installed a ceiling fan with a remote. Everything seems ok except the the remote won't power the light. I wired the light direct to hot and light is functional. With multimeter the blue wire from remote receiver has 120v until connected to the blue wire that goes to the light, then it drops to .3v. Also the on/off button on the remote for the light doesn't effect the voltage.(same results whether on or off). For now I'm hooking the remote to the fan with the blue wire from receiver to the light capped off and using the pull chain (blue wire from the fan/light) wired hot for the light. Any suggestions?

Last edited by tsl456; 07-06-09 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-09, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Lets make sure you are wiring it correctly:

On the receiver you should have two sets of wires One with a black and white and one with a black/white/blue. The black/white get connected to the line coming into the j-box in the ceiling. Black to the hot, white to the neutral. The fan gets connected to the other set. Black to black (fan), white to white and blue to blue (light)

Is that what you have?

Old 07-07-09, 05:41 AM
That is exactly what I have, but right now I have the blue from the receiver capped off.

Old 07-07-09, 05:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Where does the blue from the fan/light go? It should be hooked to the blue from the receiver. Sorry Scott, your light was off.

Old 07-07-09, 12:30 PM
Right now I currently have it set up as: black(hot) to black(receiver in) and white(hot) to white(receiver in), then black(receiver out)to black(fan in), white(receiver out) to white(fan in), and then the blue(receiver out) is currently capped off and blue(light in) is to black(hot) to operate off the chain pull. The remote controls the fan with no issues(low, med, hi are all working), it is the light output that is confusing. Maybe bad receiver?

Old 07-07-09, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
IF you connect the blue from the light to the blue from the receiver together and it does not work, you very well may have a bad receiver.

Just to make sure sometimes it helps to kill the power to the fan fro a bit to "reboot" the receiver. Also sometimes you have to hold the light button to get them to come on. Other times you just to have to do a quick "tap". If none of those work I suggest getting a replacement.

@ Chandler - No problem! I'm pretty hit or miss sometimes.

Old 07-07-09, 05:07 PM
I did try the reboot for an hour-ish and I had the same results. Also the same multimeter results. Probably just a bad receiver then or should I leave the receiver powered down like a day or two? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Old 07-07-09, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
No, I was thinking of turning if off just a few minutes. If you left it off for an hour and there was no change I'm thinking it's got "issues".