recessed lights question

Old 07-09-09, 10:36 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
recessed lights question

I am having a 2nd floor put on my ranch house, and the inside is pretty gutted too, so I have been wiring up the house with Cat-6 and Coax cable, and now I want to put up some cans in the living room and hallway while there are no ceilings.

My question is this, if I put a 15A breaker in and run a line to 2 switches, how many 75W 6" cans can I put in a line from the switch? I was looking to have 3 switches, one for 8 cans in the room, 1 for 3 cans in the hallway, and 1 for 2 or 3 "accent" lights, 4" cans around the area.

They all would be 75W, with 65W bulbs. Is this possible, or should I get a 15A breaker? Also would 14/2 or should I just use 12/2. These will be the HALO cans, with no insulation around them.

Old 07-09-09, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Generally accepted for 1440 watts per 15 amp circuit. What you are proposing will push 1050 watts total, so you should be just fine with the one circuit.

Old 07-10-09, 05:05 AM
A
Thanks, that is what I will do.

Old 07-12-09, 01:29 PM
S
Just to add on to the question, when you are going to use the same circuit to power multiple rooms and switches, would you simply go from the last light in the string to the next switch then to the string of lights, but then how do you keep the new string of lights on when the first string is off.

Sorry about the lame question, I am sure the answer is not as complicated as I think it is.

Old 07-12-09, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Originally Posted by stiggs
Just to add on to the question, when you are going to use the same circuit to power multiple rooms and switches, would you simply go from the last light in the string to the next switch then to the string of lights, but then how do you keep the new string of lights on when the first string is off.

Sorry about the lame question, I am sure the answer is not as complicated as I think it is.
Welcome!

Best way to do that is run your feed (the hot) to each switch box. Then the switch legs from each switch box to what ever lights they are going to control. The part I have underlined would not work as you pointed out.

If you have any more questions please start a new thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: