Installing Ceiling Light

Old 07-12-09, 10:07 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Ceiling Light

I'm trying to install a ceiling light fixture in a new construction condo. The condo has an existing j-box, but no existing light fixture. My new fixture has single black and white wires (the wires themselves are silver) and came with a metal strap that has a green screw for the ground wire. However, the ceiling wires are different from any of the configurations I've seen online. All of the ceiling wire casings are white, but are painted to differentiate them. One wire (actually a group of wires bundled together) is left white, another has red paint, and a single wire has yellow paint.

I was assuming that the red-painted wires go to the black wire on the fixture, the plain white wires go to the white wire on the fixture, and the yellow wire is the ground, which should be connected to the green screw. Correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-09, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
This has me a bit . Could you take a picture and post it to photobucket or some place with a link for us to look at it?

Your talking about individual wires right? Not cables? Since your in Chicago I'm guessing you have steel boxes and conduit raceways?

Old 07-12-09, 11:06 AM
B
Thanks for the quick response. Here is the ceiling wiring:

jbox.jpg picture by bluesparkhitsyourbrain - Photobucket

And here is the fixture itself:

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/s...in/fixture.jpg

The box does appear to be steel; not sure about the conduit raceways. But this is in Chicago and is new construction, so it should conform to whatever the norm is here.

Old 07-12-09, 11:24 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
White fixture wire to the group of white wires on left. Black fixture wire to single red wire in the middle.. Not sure about ground. Can't see the yellow wire. Sure it isn't yellow green? Does the box have a ground screw? What is fastened to it? Do you mean bare instead off yelow?

Old 07-12-09, 11:40 AM
B
Ray,

Thanks, but I'm a bit confused. I understand to connect the white group to the white wire on the fixture. But the single wire in the middle of the picture is one with yellow-painted casing (no green there, unfortunately). The group of wires on the right of the picture are the red ones. Are you saying to connect only one of the reds to the black wire on the fixture? (Would I then tie the others off?)

And I should have been clearer about one part of the picture: The metal strap connected to the j-box is the strap that came with the light fixture. The green grounding screw in the picture is part of the strap. (In the instructions for the fixture, it says to connect a green wire from the ceiling to the screw, but I don't have such a wire.)

Old 07-12-09, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Just want to clarify something...you have white, red and yellow wires. The white stuff you see on the red and yellow is from the contractor not covering the box before spraying texture or paint.

A picture without the strap in place may show something, but it seems like you should have a bare ground..though it could be that is covered by the box and conduit that I think is required in Chicago.

Chicago does things differently since the Fire, so I won't even try to advise as to connections.

Testing with a meter would make things simpler....$10 or less most anywhere.

Old 07-12-09, 12:15 PM
B
Gunguy, you're right about the colors, and that makes more sense. I just removed the strap. It's a bit hard to see from this pic, but there are three conduits. Each has a single red and a single white, which are bundled together in the j-box. The middle conduit also has the yellow wire.

Old 07-12-09, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
My turn!

The white of the fixture gets connect to the group of white wires from the box.

If this is the only fixture on the switch, then connect the black of the fixture to the yellow wire. (most cases odd colored wires are switch legs anyway in new construction)

The red wires are carrying power to other places.

As for the ground, if you box is metal, and you do not have a green or bare wire in the box then you can assume the box is grounded. You then only have to attach the fixture strap with 8-32 screws and you are good to go.

As Gunguy posted, the wires were painted white by the painter crew.

Old 07-12-09, 12:23 PM
Certainly beyond my experience but then if yellow is for the light what is the single red wire? Ceiling fan?

Old 07-12-09, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Ray...What single red wire? I see a single yellow and bundles of 3 white and 3 red.

They don't use the conduit as ground do they? In new construction? Man..all I know about Chicago I learned from SNL....."DA Bulls!"

Old 07-12-09, 12:48 PM
B
We have light! Per Tolyn's suggestion, I connected the white fixture wire to the group of white wires and the black fixture wire to the single yellow wire. There is no single red wire, so I simply tucked the red group back into the box before screwing in the fixture.

One question: can I assume that if this is working, it is correct? I just want to make absolutely sure that there's no fire risk (since I'm new at this, and all). Fire would be bad.

Old 07-12-09, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
As long as you connected everything securely and the switch contols it correctly, you should be good. The safety ground should be through the screws holding the fixture to the box.

Odd it has no ground from the fixture, even the cheap ones here have a braided wire for ground.

Old 07-12-09, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Ray...What single red wire? I see a single yellow and bundles of 3 white and 3 red.!"
So on your computer it looks yellow. That center wire looks red on mine in the first set of pictures. Maybe sort of yellow in the second set. We are I think talking about the same wire.

Old 07-12-09, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Uh oh Ray..can you continue to work if yer colorblind...lol...JUST Kidding. The internet can make anything tough to figure out.

Seriously..might want to reset the monitor settings.

Old 07-12-09, 05:18 PM
Interesting I set my monitor gamma higher for watching video. Forgot to reset before coming here and it does look yellow. Guess next time I will increase my gamma to be sure.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-12-09 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 07:13 PM
B
Guys, thanks for the help -- this is a great forum!

Old 07-12-09, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Gunguy - If you look at the pictures the ground would be attached to the strap and then carried to the fixture through the nipple and nut on the fixture Either that or the fixture is made out of plastic.

Ray - Yes, you need to calibrate your monitor. I was kind of wondering what single red wire you were talking about.

Bluespark - Glad to see that it is up and running. You didn't mention anything about if there is a ground wire. Your screws do not look like 8-32 screws. I suggest running a ground wire from the box to the ground screw on the fixture strap. Your good to go.

Old 07-13-09, 05:01 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this a bedroom or hallway? The yellow conductor is usually the interconnect for a smoke/CO alarm.

-----------

Home Inspection: "A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson

Old 07-14-09, 06:58 PM
B
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Gunguy - If you look at the pictures the ground would be attached to the strap and then carried to the fixture through the nipple and nut on the fixture Either that or the fixture is made out of plastic.

Ray - Yes, you need to calibrate your monitor. I was kind of wondering what single red wire you were talking about.

Bluespark - Glad to see that it is up and running. You didn't mention anything about if there is a ground wire. Your screws do not look like 8-32 screws. I suggest running a ground wire from the box to the ground screw on the fixture strap. Your good to go.
There's not a green or bare wire, so I think the answer is no. The fixture is made out of metal.