Pot lights in a bulkhead

Old 07-14-09, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pot lights in a bulkhead

I am installing pot lights in a bulkhead running under an insulated ceiling. The bulkhead is about 13" deep. Do I need fixtures for an insulated ceiling or can I use ordinary fixtures. What if I ventilate the bulkhead?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-09, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I would suggest IC (in contact) lights but I'm puzzled about "bulkhead". Do you really mean a "drop ceiling? Some recessed lights may not be suitable for horizontal mounting.

bulkhead - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

1 : an upright partition separating compartments 2 : a structure or partition to resist pressure or to shut off water, fire, or gas 3 : a retaining wall along a waterfront 4 : a projecting framework with a sloping door giving access to a cellar stairway or a shaft

Old 07-14-09, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
I would suggest IC (in contact) lights but I'm puzzled about "bulkhead". Do you really mean a "drop ceiling? Some recessed lights may not be suitable for horizontal mounting.
By Bulkhead I mean a chase running along one wall. It is 13" deep by 15" wide and contains bathroom fan vent pipe at one end, some distance from where I will be installing the lights.

Old 07-14-09, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by jacksonr View Post
By Bulkhead I mean a chase running along one wall. It is 13" deep by 15" wide and contains bathroom fan vent pipe at one end, some distance from where I will be installing the lights.
Are you sure there would be room or would the vents and pipes be in the way? Do you know for sure where they are before you cut in or is the chase unfinished?

Old 07-14-09, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Are you sure there would be room or would the vents and pipes be in the way? Do you know for sure where they are before you cut in or is the chase unfinished?
The lights won't be anywhere near the pipe. I haven't closed up the side of the chase yet.

Old 07-14-09, 01:49 PM
Group Moderator
Just use ICs and don't over lamp and you should be OK. With no insulation it might be OK to use one not rated for contact but why take the chance.