Pull chain to control outlet

Old 07-16-09, 05:48 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pull chain to control outlet

I am attempting to install lighting in a closet. We have 2 lights which are wall-mountable and plug into an outlet, so my plan was to install a standard 2-slot receptacle in the ceiling. I am now trying to find a way to control power to that receptacle.

Due to space constraints, I do not have the option of putting in a switch, so my next idea was a pull chain. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any pull chain devices which will control an outlet.

Any ideas where I can find such a device? Or alternate methods of controlling the outlet would be appreciated.

FIY, the outlet will be on a 20 amp circuit.

Thanks,
Jay

Old 07-16-09, 07:13 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Install a double gang box with a switch and duplex receptacle or a duplex switch and duplex receptacle or two simplex switch/receptacle combos.

Old 07-16-09, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 251 Votes on 219 Posts
Please be aware that there very strict rules regarding lights in closets. Some highlights are:
-No incandescent fixture with open bulbs.
-Incandescent fixtures must be at least 12" away measured horizontally from any shelf of rod.
-Fluorescent fixtures must be at least 6" from any shelf or rod.

Old 07-17-09, 01:10 PM
J
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Install a double gang box with a switch and duplex receptacle or a duplex switch and duplex receptacle or two simplex switch/receptacle combos.
The problem is that the receptacle will be mounted in the ceiling. A switch installed in that box would be very difficult to reach. I was hoping that a pull chain device existed that could be installed in the double gang box to control the receptacle.

Jay

Old 07-17-09, 01:12 PM
J
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Please be aware that there very strict rules regarding lights in closets. Some highlights are:
-No incandescent fixture with open bulbs.
-Incandescent fixtures must be at least 12" away measured horizontally from any shelf of rod.
-Fluorescent fixtures must be at least 6" from any shelf or rod.
Thanks for the heads up on code issues. I double checked the lights and they specifically mention closet installation and fit the criteria you described, so I'm good to go on that front.

Jay

Old 07-17-09, 01:39 PM
S
Suggest you extend the cords to a point you can reach and add in line switches to those cords.That way you don't have to try and make a pull chain receptacle set up and this is an easy fix.You probably can access the cords from the actual socket end and replace them with an unbroken cord.The in line switches are easy to put on.

Old 07-17-09, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 251 Votes on 219 Posts
How about mount a double gang box in the ceiling with one receptacle and a motion sensor controlling the receptacle like this: Amazon.com: Heath Zenith SL-6107-WH Motion Activated Wall Switch: Home Improvement Whenever you go in the closet the light will turn on. I you can set them to stay on as short as 5 seconds to 20 minuets. You should be able to get them at any big box store.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: