Fluorescent Lights Will Not Work

Old 07-24-09, 09:56 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fluorescent Lights Will Not Work

My house is almost 6 years old and I have a fluorescent light fixture(T12, 2 tubes, 48 inches) in my garage ceiling that recently will not work. I thought maybe the fluorescent lights needed changing and so I replaced them. It worked for a a day or two and now it doesn't work at all. After replacing the old tubes and I first turned the switch on, I could see a small dimmer of light that flicked on at the end of the tube but now it doesn't do it at all. Is it the ballast? the starter? should I replace the whole unit?

Old 07-24-09, 11:15 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Replace the starter if there is one. It may be as cheap or cheaper to replace the light rather then the ballast. No real DIY way to check the ballast. If though you see "tar" oozing out odds are it is bad. Of course first you need to check the hot and neutral to make sure it is getting power..

Old 07-24-09, 11:37 AM
S
Bad ballasts also can give off a "burnt honey" smell.

In case you don't know this:a starter looks like a C-cell battery,a small usually aluminum but sometimes plastic cylinder.Twist about a quarter turn to remove.50/50 chance yours has one,the older the unit the more likely it does.

Agree that in many cases especially if you value your time and trouble it's just as well to replace the fixture as the ballast.

Old 07-24-09, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
If the house is only 6 years old, unless the fixture was used, it will not have a starter.

Are you sure the bulbs are seated in the sockets? Did you replace both of the bulbs?

Old 07-24-09, 03:21 PM
G
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
If the house is only 6 years old, unless the fixture was used, it will not have a starter.

Are you sure the bulbs are seated in the sockets? Did you replace both of the bulbs?
Yes I did! I just finished replacing the whole fixture and of course that corrected the problem but now I think there is something wrong with my wall switch. After flipping it on many times the light will come on but there are a few times when I flip the switch, it does not come on. I guess I have to replace the switch ?????

Old 07-24-09, 04:17 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by g8tkeeper View Post
Yes I did! I just finished replacing the whole fixture and of course that corrected the problem but now I think there is something wrong with my wall switch. After flipping it on many times the light will come on but there are a few times when I flip the switch, it does not come on. I guess I have to replace the switch ?????
Is the fixture grounded? It is often said they work better grounded. I have seen them used ungrounded though and they did work.

Old 07-25-09, 02:21 AM
F
Try to wipes the bulb with glass cleaner and put it back up it should go.

If not then you need to look more deeper due you may have grounding issue along the way with luminarie.

If that was a cheap shop or cheap strip fixure you need to be carefull some are pretty picky with bulbs espcally with wattsaver verison they are hard on ballast.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: