Ceiling Fan Not Pushing Much Air

Old 07-26-09, 08:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Not Pushing Much Air

Ok I don't know what model it is but its from around 1990s I believe. Its not giving out much air on high and it takes a while to start up especially on low and medium. All my other fans run a lot faster and push 4-6x more air. Anything I can do to fix it?

Heres a picture of the top of the fan, I don't know what manufacture and model it is.

Also heres a video of the fan running. [Take a look @ 1:35 on how slow it starts in low]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XhKtwxSSA4c&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XhKtwxSSA4c&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 07-27-09, 02:36 AM
F
You have one major issue allready show up on the Youtube photo as I look at it.

The zip cord is not allowed for perment usage.

Is that Zip cord used for fan ? or have one circuit for the light and other ?

You should have that running good in high speed if connected correct.

Is that juction box was used for ceiling light before ?

Let us know then we will go from there.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-27-09, 06:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
While we await your answers. Motors should not be started in the lower speeds.

Airlfow is a function of blade speed and pitch. If the blades have very little tilt they cannot move much air.

Old 07-27-09, 11:02 AM
S
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
You have one major issue allready show up on the Youtube photo as I look at it.

The zip cord is not allowed for perment usage.

Is that Zip cord used for fan ? or have one circuit for the light and other ?

You should have that running good in high speed if connected correct.

Is that juction box was used for ceiling light before ?

Let us know then we will go from there.

Merci,Marc
sorry not famailar with zip code term, are you refering to the pull chains or the wire going from the canopy? if the pullchains then theres two zip cords, one for the light and one for the fan. if you mean the wire going from the canopy its I believe a 16-20 gauge speaker wire hooked into a wall outlet. both light and fan wires are hooked up on it. however i had this fan in a diffrent room before and was hooked up to the wiring coming from the ceiling and still ran the same.

also the junction box was not used for a light before its rated for fans.

Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
While we await your answers. Motors should not be started in the lower speeds.

Airlfow is a function of blade speed and pitch. If the blades have very little tilt they cannot move much air.
I started the motor in slow speed after i started it in high speed just to show how slowly it starts, most of my other fans even on low start much faster. And if i make a higher blade pitch the fan moves even slower on high so not much more air is pushed since it gets really slow.

Old 07-27-09, 04:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Your fan should not be wired with speaker cable or zip cord which looks like the cord on a lamp. You would need to use a method suitable for permanent wiring like non-metallic cable or metal clad cable.

Different fans run at different speeds. Brand A's low could be noticeably faster than a Brand B fan.

The blade pitch is set by the blade holders. Trying to change the pitch yourself will only ruin the holders.

Old 07-27-09, 05:53 PM
S
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Your fan should not be wired with speaker cable or zip cord which looks like the cord on a lamp. You would need to use a method suitable for permanent wiring like non-metallic cable or metal clad cable.

Different fans run at different speeds. Brand A's low could be noticeably faster than a Brand B fan.

The blade pitch is set by the blade holders. Trying to change the pitch yourself will only ruin the holders.

So I'm guessing just leave the fan alone but replace the wiring.

Old 07-28-09, 12:52 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
And as another thought, do the blades turn clockwise or counter clockwise as you look at it from the floor. Maybe you need to flip the reverse switch, which should be somewhere on the housing. Clockwise pushes air down for summer use. Counter clockwise pulls the air up and gives a more gentle flow for winter.

Old 07-28-09, 01:36 PM
S
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
And as another thought, do the blades turn clockwise or counter clockwise as you look at it from the floor. Maybe you need to flip the reverse switch, which should be somewhere on the housing. Clockwise pushes air down for summer use. Counter clockwise pulls the air up and gives a more gentle flow for winter.
clockwise i have it set for summer use

idk maybe its because of the blades are bend they seem to be hanging lower on the end of the blades and its not the metal holders or the screws being loose either cuz i checked that

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: