ductless vent hood wiring. red wire?

Old 08-15-09, 12:23 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ductless vent hood wiring. red wire?

I have a rangemaster model 175 ductless vent hood to install. There are black, white and red wires coming out of the vent. What do I connect the red wires to? Black? White? or just to each other?

Old 08-15-09, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Does it have a light in it? Thats normally what the odd color wires are for.

You didn't mention a ground...there should be a green or bare wire..or a green screw to attach your ground wire to.

Old 08-15-09, 12:43 PM
S
red wires

there is a light and a variable speed vent fan. There is a black and white wire coming from the fan.
There is a black wire coming from the light switch to the light itself and a white wire coming from the light.

there are 2 red wires coming from the fan switch.

Old 08-15-09, 12:50 PM
S
correction

the light switch has 3 black wires coming from it. One goes to the light itself.

the light itself has a white and black wire (one black goes to the switch)

The fan switch has 2 red wires coming from it.

Fan has a black and white wire coming from it.

Old 08-15-09, 01:15 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
the light switch has 3 black wires coming from it. One goes to the light itself
Are the other two unconnected? Is there only one lamp holder? Is the light switch just on/off or is there a third position? Didn't it come with instructions?

Old 08-15-09, 01:23 PM
S
red wire no instructions

this is a used unit. no instructions.

none of the wires are curently connected except for one black from the switch to the light itself with just one lamp holder

light switch has either on or off positions.

Old 08-15-09, 01:40 PM
Rangermaster is made by Broan but searching on model number 175 I come up blank. I'll back off in case some one is familiar with this model. I suspect wires have been disconnected that shouldn't have been. At this point I'd ohm out the light switch to see if I could make sense of it. The fan I could guess at but the light is a puzzle because you should have only one hot. Is there an indicator light. Any evidence of a missing lamp holder or that the light switch is not original?

Are you sure the fan and light switch haven't been switched? Three leads on the fan switch might make sense if the fan had three leads.

Old 08-15-09, 06:38 PM
S
Red wire after-market switch!

I think I figured out the problem. The fan switch seems to be an after-market part. it says "KB Electronics KBNH-13B 120 VAC" and the two wires coming from it are both red.
It's not connected to the fan motor at this time. It's just 2 red wires hanging from the fan switch.

One is cut shorter than the other.

Is it short red to white and long red to black? Of both reds to black? or somthin' different?

Old 08-15-09, 07:26 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
The only way to know for certain will be to do continuity tests with all combinations of the wires and switch positions.

Old 08-15-09, 08:22 PM
Is it short red to white and long red to black?
No. White on the motor goes to neutral. Probably one red from the switch to the motor and other red to black power in but no way to know till you determine if you have continuity between the red wires in one position and no continuity in the other. It's the alleged light switch though that makes no sense. Label it's three wires ABC and check the continuity between it's wires in both its positions.

My opinion is someone tried to fix this with whatever they had and who know what is right. Assuming the motor is good and there isn't a missing speed controller with built in capacitors we can probably get it running.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: