bathroom fan wiring

Old 08-15-09, 02:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom fan wiring

Hi,

We're doing some remodelling so i thought it to be a good idea to replace the dated exhaust fans in the bathrooms.

We got some Greenwood Airvacs with the timer option from here Greenwood Airvac Select Extractor Fans available at Plumbworld

The fans are controlled from the light switch. There is an issue though.
When the light is turned on the fan starts, and when it's turned off it stops.
The timer setting is on 20 minutes. Now if it is left running (with the light on) for some 20 minutes it stops.

I think that is not the expected behaviour. It should start when the light turns on and then STAY on for the configured time after the light has been turned off. At least that is my understanding of bathroom fan timers and that is how bathroom fans have been working for me for some decades.

Did we mess the wiring? Is there a possible wiring configuration that would result in what is currently happening?

Thanks for your time guys, appreciated.

Old 08-15-09, 02:35 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Obviously you did make an error in wiring if it doesn't perform as it should. Do you have three conductors between the light switch and the fan unit? If not, then it can't operate the way that you want.

Look on the wiring diagram and you will see that you need an "always hot" a "switched hot" and a "neutral" wire to the fan. If you don't have all three and have them connected as shown it won't work.

Installation instructions Look specifically at the diagram titled AXS100T, AXS100TR, AXS100DT, AXS100HT, AXSKMA, AXSUT.

Old 08-15-09, 03:07 PM
S
Obviously there is an error. The hot, switched-hot and neutral seem to be connected properly per spec.

That is exactly the reason i asked what possible WRONG wiring would result in what is currently happening.

If there is an experienced electrician/installer around i would appreciate the input.

Thanks

Old 08-15-09, 03:22 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
If you have it wired correctly then it is a defective unit. It's a pretty simple appliance.

Old 08-15-09, 05:07 PM
S
More than a single unit were test-installed on the same wiring. Same behavior. Since nobody seems to have a clue i'll just get a fan a switchbox and the lightswitch on a table, power them externally and see what's going on by trial and error.

Thanks

Old 08-15-09, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
The link you posted shows the fans with European currency. Are you in the UK? This site is mostly for US wiring but we do have a few folks around here familiar with UK wiring so if you can sit tight they should be around shortly.

While you wait I suggest updating your profile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: