low profile recessed light?

Old 08-21-09, 07:04 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
low profile recessed light?

I'm doing a remodel in a mud room and plan to change the existing lighting. We have two flush mount light fixtures. We would like to replace with recessed lights. However, my wife (and myself I guess) don't like the what I'll call the standard recessed lights. I'm talking about the ones that are 6" wide or so and contain the spot/flood like type bulbs. Are there any low profile type recessed lights which still produce a reasonable amount of light?

I'm guessing with smaller lights I'll have to use more of them (unless the technology has come such a long way), but I don't want to litter the ceiling with a ton of lights. Also, it would be nice to have lights that don't throw off too much heat. The ceiling is 8'. The mud room is a 'T', e.g. two connecting hallways. One about 3 1/2' x 13' (the top of the 'T') and the other about 5 1/2' x 9'.

It seems on some of these design shows I've seen recessed lighting that looks pretty small. Maybe low profile LED ones? Also, I assume some could be directional, e.g. you can angle them towards a certain spot as opposed to straight down (maybe this is accent lighting?). I might want one row of these pointing to the cubbies we plan to put in the one hallway.

Thanks,
Nick

Old 08-21-09, 07:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 199 Upvotes on 174 Posts
I am a little confused. Recessed lights are flush with the ceiling unless you are using an eyeball trim. When you ask about low profile do you mean that you need a shallow housing due to lack of clearence in the ceiling joist space?

You are correct that with smaller fixtures that you will need more of them. Remember that the light spreads out like an upside down ice cream cone. Smaller bulbs = less spread.

Old 08-21-09, 08:10 AM
N
By low profile I mean small, and for the most part I'm talking about the part that's seen on the ceiling. I don't have a clearance problem in the ceiling.

Thanks,
Nick

Old 08-21-09, 06:53 PM
M
smaller downlights

you can use a 4" incadescent down light, 50 watts max, spaced about 5 to 6 feet apart on a 8 foot ceiling with a halogen par 20 will give off plenty of light, to the point you want them on a dimmer. or you can use a 3" mr-16 which is also halogen and also maxes out 50 watts and you also want them on a dimmer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: