No air from the ceiling fan!!!!!!

Old 08-23-09, 09:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question No air from the ceiling fan!!!!!!

I have a ceiling fan in the kitchen that was already there when we recently bought our house. The switch is in the right position (fan is going clockwise) & the blades appear too be all slanted like they should be, but you feel no air coming from it?? What's the problem?

Old 08-24-09, 05:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Clockwise is a perception. Are you looking up at it? If so, clockwise is reverse and the air is moving up. CCW and the air will move downward.

Old 08-25-09, 10:36 AM
R
still confused??

thanx 4 the reply, but unfornuately I'm stil s.o.l. I've tried it both ways & still not feelin air from it, so if u no of any further input, I'ld appreciate it, if not thanx 4 the help!

Old 08-25-09, 10:42 AM
Is it a hugger fan? They move less air, because there is less space above the fan for it to gather air to move. If it is a 4 blade, less than 40 inches in diameter, then double whammy. If you want air movement, buy a fan with Gossamer blades. A friend installed one on his porch and even with a 10" down rod, when he puts it on high it sucks and rattles the vinyl soffit used for the ceiling.

Old 08-25-09, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It make a big difference how fast it turns, how big the blades are and how much pitch they have. It can also make a difference how close to the ceiling it is mounted.

Unfortunately some fans are poorly designed and just don't do a very good job even when properly sized and installed. They are more or less decorative.

Old 08-25-09, 12:31 PM
R
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Hey, Gunguy, you do get around, doncha? A little out of my specialty, but back in the early 70's I was odd-jobbing hanging the Hong-Kong made 3-metal-blade 36/48/56" with upturned tips for friends and neighbors. From the supplier they came with a 6' downrod so you could cut it to length. I encountered varying ceiling heights, so I had varying down-rod lengths.
I found that around 16" air flow would begin to choke, and at 12" (the minimum) the smaller fans were really choked.
BTW, what's a Gossomer blade?

Old 08-25-09, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
rstripe...I'm everywhere...if I have any knowledge or input..I post. Thats what happens when you retire at 50.

I kinda wondered about the Gossamer thing too.....I think they may be the real wide fabric type?

Old 08-25-09, 03:07 PM
The gossamer blades have a radical twist to them, and some even have kinnard like ends flipped up. Some only have 3 blades, as that is all you need to move a lot of air. GG, time for a road trip to the big box. I think they have one hanging.

Old 08-25-09, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Thx I'm good...I got 52" Hunters when we moved here and they work just fine for my needs. Be a while before I have shop for one.

Old 08-27-09, 08:41 AM
R
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Wonder if Hunter still makes their "Original" ---big wide-diameter motor in cast-iron housing...used a spiral-grooved shaft to lubricate the bearings from an oil reservoir. The owner was supposed to remember to check the oil level every 5 years with a pipecleaner. Put a couple in in 1980, finally had to add some oil last year.

Old 08-28-09, 09:52 PM
R
ya its a hugger fan & a 4 blade not sure on the size, its a big 1 not a dinky 1 if that helps tel ya anythin lol but i wil say there is a similar fan in my other kitchen & u can feel the air just fine?? so i dnt no?

Old 08-28-09, 09:56 PM
R
thanx 2 al of ya 4 tryin 2 help me w my fan issue, its much appreciated, though sum of ya r talkin above my head but thats ok lol il take wat i can get

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: