Installing pendant lights?

Old 08-26-09, 12:36 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing pendant lights?

I did read the "How to" article, but it only dealt with installing new fixtures where old ones existed.

I removed a suspended kitchen cabinet and want two pendant lights installed. I need to know - is this a major, expensive job or a DIY project for someone who is handy?

There is an outlet on the wall behind the white microwave oven.

Here is where I want the lights to go :

Old 08-26-09, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
It is possible as long as you are willing to patch some drywall. You will just need to find a source of power on a lighting circuit.

You cannot use the receptacles from the countertop or kitchen/dining room for your power source.

Old 08-26-09, 01:47 PM
P
Thank you....not something I would undertake then.

I know you cannot possibly tell me exactly what a job like this would cost, but is it possible to give a range of prices for this job....just ballpark?

Old 08-27-09, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Is there an attic above the kitchen or is it living space? Do you still have that yellow paint or want a new color on the soffit?

Old 08-28-09, 06:04 PM
P
There's attic space over the kitchen and I'm not worried about the yellow paint.

Thanks for any pointers!

Old 08-28-09, 07:21 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There's attic space over the kitchen
You should be able to set a box for the pendent light, drop a cable for a switch and run power for it from the track light if it has a "always hot" cable. with no sheet rock repair. Do you want the switch between the calender and the cabinet? That would be the easiest place.

If the track light does not have a always hot cable then it gets a bit more complicated but still doable. It may be better to use another source because you would probably need to remove the track light temporarily.

Old 08-28-09, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Depending on your roof line, this could be a "no wall repair" job. This would involve someone going into the attic.
My suggestion is to feed the pendants off the can/light above your sink. All the lights over the counter will then be on that one switch. If you did it like that I would ballpark the job at around $400US (I see you are from Canada). The cost/difficultly would go up if you wanted the pendants on their own switch. Prices vary a great deal so it could be more or less depending your area. If it cannot be done from the attic, some access holes might then need to be cut in the soffit and the wire fished through the soffit. However, the the light over the sink is a can, you might be able to remove the can to gain access to the soffit's inside.

Old 08-29-09, 01:08 PM
P
The pendants would be fine working on the same switch as the can light over the sink which has it's own switch.

Thanks so much for giving me some idea of cost. I know it can vary widely and I had no clue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: