power off light glows

Old 08-27-09, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
power off light glows

I have an older Fluorescent light above my washer and dryer.
Its the bigger round type light probally from the early 90's.

The light itself isnt more than 24 inches in length.

early this morning i noticed a very dim bluish haze/light from it even when it was "off"

I could rotate the tube and it would change the degree of light? When I say rotate I meen as if I was putting a new bulb in it is a tube type that has two little prongs on each end..

Please help
Thank you

Last edited by mongongo; 08-27-09 at 07:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-09, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you have a lighted switch or timer on it?

Old 08-27-09, 11:00 AM
Wall switches commonly "leak" a very small amount of power and with a flourescent bulb,which works by "exciting" chemicals in the tube,the leakage can cause a small amount of light even when off.

If this is a new development with the same tube a new switch might help but if this is a new tube you may have to live with it.

Generally speaking it's not particularly dangerous as long as the fixture and the switch are in good working condition.

but this is why turning off the switch to a fixture or other electical item is not enough if you're going to be working on it,changing it out etc.( this does not include changing of bulbs and simple things like that)

Old 08-27-09, 11:27 AM
It is wired directly to the back side of a wall outlet/plug in.
The on off switch is on the light itself. Its a metal push button type.

I honestly dont know how long its been doing it. It just happened to catch our eye early this morning when everything was dark.

And I thank you for the replys

Old 08-27-09, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
I think david meant to say "LIGHTED wall switches", regular wall switches don't leak anything when working correctly.

My ? is, did you notice the glow right AFTER the light had been turned off? Thats pretty common actually.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 08-27-09 at 12:14 PM. Reason: clarify statement
Old 08-27-09, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by mongongo View Post
It is wired directly to the back side of a wall outlet/plug in.
The on off switch is on the light itself. Its a metal push button type.

I honestly dont know how long its been doing it. It just happened to catch our eye early this morning when everything was dark.

And I thank you for the replys
If it's a push button on the fixture itself it probably needs to be replaced.This is an easy fix,a common switch to find,but it will require taking the fixture down.

Old 08-27-09, 12:06 PM
No, it had been off for sometime, probally 7 hours or better.

I want to think it has to be the switch? There really is no other way power could be getting to the bulb is there?

Old 08-27-09, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you replace the switch keep in mind that on very old fluorescent lights the switch had a start function built into the switch but no automatic starter so you need a special switch. It was a two button switch. The on button a momentary contact NO switch. The off button a momentary contact NC switch. You pressed the NO on button to short the filaments and start it. To shut off you momentarily pushed the NC switch to open the circuit. I seem to recall a single button version of this also.

Old 08-27-09, 01:27 PM
the switch is kinda like the old metal ones on top of hand held blenders. Push on push off. just a single metal stem sticking up.

Im think tonight it will get removed from the back of the wall outlet and ill just go pick me up a newer kind... I might even step up to some LED'S lol.

Old 08-27-09, 06:04 PM
If the switch clicks on and clicks off and is not spring loaded then it is not momentary contact.If you don't have to hold it to turn the light on it;s a regular on off switch.

Does the fixture have starters?They look similar to a c cell battery but slightly smaller and are usually in an easy to access location.