Glass light fixtures causes fan to hum

Old 08-29-09, 05:13 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glass light fixtures causes fan to hum

All:
I have a three week new Hunter Augusta fan that works great; but, it's glass light fixtures causes the fan to hum for awhile whenever I change the speed -- especially to high speed. It's on an 18" downrod connected to a sloping, high ceiling with barely a wobble at high speed; so, I don't believe that it's loose up there. I have had two electricians/fan-installers out to look at it; and, they both agreed, that the original fan-installer did a good job in installing it.
I found out by trail and error that the glass light fixtures were causing this hum. Since these fixtures came with my fan, I am not sure if this is a problem that might cause the fan to fail one day; or, if it's something I need to live with.
Any suggestions? Thank you.

Keith

Old 08-29-09, 07:28 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Some globes come with a large rubber band around the neck of the globe where tje screws touch. If no rubber band you might try one on the neck of each globe.

Old 08-29-09, 07:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 897 Upvotes on 758 Posts
Does it have anything to do with the light being on? If it is just the glass globes making the noise than try what Ray suggested.

Old 08-30-09, 03:15 AM
K
Re: Glass light fixtures causes fan to hum

All:
They already have some rubber bands around the glass fixtures. Anyone know of a good and mediumly expensive Hunter white fan that doesn't need any lights?

Keith

Old 08-30-09, 06:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you don't want the lights, they are removable, and you can put a blank out plate on the fan.

Old 08-30-09, 10:03 AM
K
Re: Glass light fixtures causes fan to hum

Where can I get this blank out plate for the bottom of my Hunter Augusta fan? It didn't come with one; and, Hunter states that they don't have one for this particular model. Thank you.

Keith

Old 08-31-09, 03:38 AM
K
Chandler:
I found a blank out plate and attempted to attach it onto my Hunter Augusta fan. Unfortunately, I found out that the fan needed the light kit in order to fully function. Thank you anyway.

Keith

Old 08-31-09, 05:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Why would it need the light kit to operate? Did you just unplug the lights and install the blank out plate? What symptoms did it exhibit once the light kit was removed? Just curious.

Old 08-31-09, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 897 Upvotes on 758 Posts
@Chandler - Many times the caps are in the part where the lights attach to if it is not just a globe style light. Fan will not run without the capacitors.

Old 08-31-09, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Some hunters come with a bypass plug if you don't use a light kit...couple of mine did.

Old 09-01-09, 04:17 AM
K
All:
Thank you for the advice. I noticed that the motor whines and hums even w/o the light kit. I will get a new Hunter Sontera, which has an OPTIONAL light kit, and I will replace my Hunter Augusta fan with the Hunter Sontera. I will then take the Hunter Augusta fan back to Home Depot.
Thank you.

Keith

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: