Proper wiring of fan switch for Harbor Breese fan

Old 09-01-09, 11:41 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Proper wiring of fan switch for Harbor Breese fan

The fan switch has 4 slots labeled L,1,2,3. The wires coming out of a black box are Brown and Purple. Two addition wires - Grey and Black - do not come out of the black box. What is the correct match for the colored wire and the slots?

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-02-09 at 04:32 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is this a fan switch in the canopy or on the wall? What black box? Where is it located? Are the brown, purple, gray and black wires part of the fan or part of the house wiring.

Old 09-02-09, 04:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 258 Upvotes on 209 Posts
That's the pull-chain speed switch in the unit, Chandler. What a coincidence! Two nights ago my sister called saying her son had pulled the chain which had come out and was now stuck on high. Tried to talk her through the switch replacement but even after multiple attempts (and with help of younger brother) fan is inop even though the wires were installed exactly as per the old one. Will have to visit with my meter next time I'm up there; real head-scratcher.

The slots are L,1,2,3 as stated and are stab-in type. In the course of our long-distance troubleshooting my brother also mentioned a small black box (like captaint) in the unit with wires coming and going. Been trying to remember how the fans are designed. Would that be a resistor of some kind re: the variable speed?

Old 09-02-09, 04:51 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Black box is usually the capacitor. The multi taps determine speed IIRC. The problem I had the couple of times I replaced a switch was getting stranded wire to go in the switch. I solved that one time by adding lengths of solid wire but then getting the added wire nuts in an already crowded space can difficult. Better maybe to tin the wires before trying to insert.

Old 09-02-09, 06:01 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Proper wiring of fan switch for harbor breese fan

The fan switch is a "pull chain" immediately below the fan blades - not on the wall. I believe the answer has been given on the "black box" it's a capacitor which is directly under the fan blades along with all the fan wires. The colored wires are part of the fan wiring, not part of the house wiring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: