Fan/light and separate Light on same switch

Old 09-07-09, 03:49 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fan/light and separate Light on same switch

I recently installed a ceiling fan w/light in my living room and it works fine, but I have a same frustration...

The living room used to have two ceiling mounted light fixtures to light it, I replace one with the fan... so now the fan/light and the other light are connected to the same single switch.

Frequently, I want to have just the fan on with no lights, but because of the wiring the separate light will be on as long as the switch is on and the fan will turn off if the switch is off.

Currently, there is 14/2 or 12/2 wiring used and I would rather not use a remote (mainly because I'm not sure if it would work and if it would be any cheaper).

What I'm wanting to do, but don't have the electral knowledge to do by myself, is to have the light from the fan and the separate light on one switch and the fan on another switch.

Do yall have any suggestions?

Old 09-07-09, 06:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 202 Upvotes on 176 Posts
Since this was not setup for a fan/lite combo with independant switching this would mean running new wiring from the switch to the light.

If you ran a 3 wire cable between the switch and the fan you could add a second switch. One would control the fan, the other the lighting.

Do you have access to run a new cable?

Old 09-07-09, 11:49 AM
S
Yes, the attic is pretty accessible...

There is already a second switch to an outside light, so this would make it a third switch.

And would this be control the two lights (the fan light and the separate light) on one switch and then the fan on the extra switch?

Old 09-07-09, 12:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could set the fan up on one with the fan/light and the light on the other or one for the recessed alone. Which do you think you would like better?

It would also be possible to have the fan on the pull chains and the lights together or separate.

Old 09-07-09, 07:52 PM
S
One switch for the fan/light and the other for the separate light is what I would prefer.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 09-08-09, 06:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In that case you would just need to run a 2 wire + ground cable from the switch location to the recessed light. You could abandon the old cable from the fan in the junction box for the recessed. Just cap the wires and leave them in the back of the box.

At the switch you could either install a duplex switch or cut the hole bigger and install a 3 gang switch box. You could also install another box close to the existing box. You will need to feed the new cable down the wall to the switch location.

Let us know how you would like to approach the switching and more info can be given.

Old 09-08-09, 07:02 PM
S
Let's do the duplex switch.

Old 09-11-09, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry for the delay.

You will first need to determine what wires you have available at the existing switch box. Post back withe the number of colors both attached to the switch and in the box itself. If you only have one cable in the switch box you will need to get power from another source. This could be the box where the fan is located.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: