Wiring Track lights through ceiling fan.

Old 09-07-09, 05:56 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring Track lights through ceiling fan.

I have a ceiling fan with light controlled by two wall switches, one for fan and light. Instead of using fan lights I want to use existing wiring for track light. Is it possible to run wires from fan to a track light?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-07-09, 06:16 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
How close to the fan do you want to start the track light? Do you have an accessible attic above?

Old 09-07-09, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 897 Upvotes on 758 Posts
Sure. But I will only be able to give to a basic answer because you have only given a basic description of the job.

You will have to remove the fan. Run a cable to the new location. Install a box for the new location. Connect the cable's hot (black) to the switch leg that is controlling the light on the fan. White to white, ground to ground. (re)install the fixtures.

Old 09-07-09, 08:33 PM
D
I want to leave 2 feet between fan and track light. No I don't have access to attic.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by ray2047
How close to the fan do you want to start the track light? Do you have an accessible attic above?

Old 09-07-09, 08:40 PM
D
Thanks for the quick response. Do I have to install a new box? I was thinking more like connecting track light black wire to blue wire (assuming that blue is controlling the light), white to white and ground to ground of the fan. I am new to this, so I am not sure whether it works.

Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand
Sure. But I will only be able to give to a basic answer because you have only given a basic description of the job.

You will have to remove the fan. Run a cable to the new location. Install a box for the new location. Connect the cable's hot (black) to the switch leg that is controlling the light on the fan. White to white, ground to ground. (re)install the fixtures.

Old 09-08-09, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 897 Upvotes on 758 Posts
All splices are required to be in a box. With no attic access you would be limited to running the cable parallel to the joists, Cutting a hole and trying to fish over the rafters/trusses or cutting access holes and patching the wall.

The box you would want to use is a plastic remodel round box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: