converting fluorescent recessed lights to incandescent

Old 09-08-09, 02:56 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy converting fluorescent recessed lights to incandescent

My apartment that I just moved into has all energy efficent light fixtures...which I know are supposedly "great for the environment" and make your energy bill cheaper... and I can deal with most of them...but I can not stand the fluorescent recessed light fixtures in my living room. I feel like i'm in an office. I've tried the different temperatures of light bulbs but I just hate them.
What i've got is a recessed light fixture with a "plug" for your light tube...rather than a standard screw in bulb receptical.... is there anyway I can reasonably easlily convert the ugy fluorescent fixture with a replacement incandscent fixture from home depot or something? Like just replace the can? Or do you have to replace the entire electrical housing in the ceiling? Thanks for any help...it's driving me crazy.

Old 09-08-09, 03:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 201 Upvotes on 176 Posts
Depending on your location the energy codes may prohibit any changes to the fixtures. That is why regular fixtures were not used with screw in fluorescent bulbs.

Are you in CA?

Old 09-08-09, 03:33 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oh wow...are they prohibiting the use of incandescent fixtures in some places now? That's awful. Fluorescent is so depressing... no i live in New Orleans. I don't think we have anything like that here.

Old 09-08-09, 04:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 201 Upvotes on 176 Posts
Barring a local prohibition against an incandescent type fixture, you would need to change the housing out in order to use incandescent bulbs.

FWIW, CA has Title 24 that requires energy conserving lights in kitchens and baths. There may be more requirements too.

Old 09-08-09, 05:50 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The other thing here is the keyword is Apartment that something you need to talk to your landlord before you do any modifcation to the place and that is the only way it will be properly done by either landlord get electrician come out and change the luminaire otherwise .,

Some city are getting strict with engery code so if your local area required it you may not able do much unless your landlord may know something or two so ask them first to see where you stand on this situation.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: