wiring ceiling fan with 12-3 wire to 12-2 wire

Old 09-14-09, 07:58 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down wiring ceiling fan with 12-3 wire to 12-2 wire

I have 12-2 wire coming up to my wall switch (black, white and ground). All the electrical outlets in the room operate on first receptacle lighting (turn on switch and power goes to the top outlet to each receptacle in room). The bottom outlet to each receptacle is always hot. I decided to put a ceiling fan in and run 12-3 wire to the switch. I bought a 2 switch unit so I could turn the light and the fan on separately. I am not sure how to wire the light and fan to the wall switch. the 12-3 wire has black, white , red and ground. I believe I wired the fan correctly to the 12-3 (all grounds together, red 12-3 wire to black/white wire on fan, black 12-3 wire to black fan wire and white 12-3 wire to white fan wire. Can someone please help?
Thanks,
Tony

Old 09-14-09, 09:14 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have 12-2 wire coming up to my wall switch (black, white and ground). All the electrical outlets in the room operate on first receptacle lighting (turn on switch and power goes to the top outlet to each receptacle in room).
If you only have a black and white at the switch it is just a switch loop. There's no neutral. All whites are not neutrals. A switch loop is one of those exceptions. You will need to wire the fan from another source or run new wiring to the switch box such as 12-3 from the first receptacle to replace the existing 12-2 from the first receptacle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: