3 way switch multiple lights

Old 09-16-09, 10:33 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 way switch multiple lights

I need some help with a 3 way switch with multiple lights in the basement. The power (14-2) comes into the first light. where do i go from here. The power coming in to the first light is throwing me off track. i would like to have one switch at the top of stairs and the other switch in the back of the basement (about 15ft from the first fixture. i have 7 other fixtures (or 4pairs) in a row. Also if i wanted to branch off of this circuit at the rear of the basement what would i have to do
thanks

Old 09-17-09, 06:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 201 Upvotes on 176 Posts
Before we go through how to do this could you please tell the size and shape of the junction box that the power comes into? You are going to need a box good for at least 8 conductors. I do not want to see you overfill a box that is too small and not have enough space for the splices.

Old 09-17-09, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
From the first light run a 14/2 to the first switch box. Next run a 14/3 to the 2nd switch box. Then run 14/2 and daisy chain the lights.

In the first light box:
The feed white is connected to the light and the white of the 14/2 going to the next light.
The 14/2 going to the first switch, you will color the white black, and connect it to your hot feed (black).
The black of the 14/2 will be your switch leg and get connect to the light and the 14/2 going to the next light in the row.

In the first switch box:
Color the white, black, of the 14/2 coming from the light.
Also color the white of the 14/3 black.
The two whites, colored black will get spliced together.
The black and red of the 14/3 will get connected to the brass screws of the 3-way switch.
The black of the 14/2 will get connected to the black screw (common) of the 3-way.

In the 2nd switch box:
Color the white, black and connect it to the black screw of the 3-way
Connect the black and red to the brass screws of the 3-way.

To branch off this same circuit you would just run a 14/2 from the first light to the new box and connect the black and white to the black and white of the feed coming in.

Be sure to head PCBoss's warning about box size. You would need a box with at least 18 cubic inches of space to do all the above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: