How do i connect this?

Old 09-19-09, 05:20 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do i connect this?

I have to make a desk lamp. I am using 2 LED straps and i have one plug which has three options, i want to work in the following way: when it is in the middle the lamp has to be off, when the switch is turned to one side one LED Strap has to switch on, when the switch is turned to the other side i want both the LED straps to go on.

Old 09-19-09, 09:30 AM
nap
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
you need a two pole double throw switch or a contactor to do what you want. The problem is because you want to power either one or two devices from the switch. If you used a single pole double throw, you would have no way to not power both strips when the switch is in either "on" position.

So, you would run the line (power in) side to the common terminal of both "poles" of the switch. Then, you would run a wire from both of the load sides of one "pole" of the switch to the strip you want top be on in either position and from the other "pole" of the switch, you would run from only one of the load connections to the strip you want to be on in only the "both on" condition.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: