rewiring an old chandelier

Old 10-05-09, 03:50 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool rewiring an old chandelier

I bought an old chandelier with cloth wiring that needs to be rewired. Went to my local electrical shop and they didnt' even want to see it. Came back with wiring that is wrapped in yellow plastic and looks just like what I bought when rewiring my house (12/2 w/g type nn-b 600 v is what is stamped on plastic). I have 5 lights to this chandelier. This yellow thick wrapped wire(white,black, and ground wire) doesn't look like it will be attractive when hanging thru the chain. Did the guy sell me the right wire? Isnt' there a more attractive wire? Also when it will be rewired to the new screw-in ring porcelain sockets, where will the ground be screwed into or does the ground just get screwed into the ground screw on the mounting bracket?

Old 10-05-09, 05:07 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Find a lighting store that does refurbishing. I don't know what kind of place you went to but it doesn't sound like a lighting store or maybe they misunderstood.

Old 10-05-09, 07:52 PM
R
rewiring chandelier

I live in a very, very small town with no "lighting store". Where I went was the electric wholesale place that sells electrical parts to us and all the surrounding small towns. The nearest city is 1 1/2 hrs away and my car won't go that far. My electrician friend is a very busy man and I don't want to show up at his house with the wrong thing and waste his time and mine. I just wanted to know if I had the right wire because I dont' see chandeliers in magazines with a big ugly yellow wire strung thru it. Wouldn't lamp wire be sufficient? A regular bulb screws into each socket so it would be the 60 watt kind used not the little "flame" looking light bulbs.

Old 10-05-09, 09:18 PM
Yes it should be "lamp cord". You may be able to find something suitable on line at one of the Big Box Stores Or Ace or look on the store associated with this forum. A swag lamp kit with clear lamp cord would work.

Old 10-06-09, 08:24 AM
R
Talking

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
God Bless YOU for your help and taking your valuable time to help me and so many others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-06-09, 09:13 AM
So you got it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: