Ceiling spot light aftere recessed lighting

Old 10-05-09, 06:18 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling spot light aftere recessed lighting

Hi There,

I am new here and really need some help. I always go on the Internet to find help and solution but this time I think I need to ask for help.

I just bought a condo and a lot of work to do (more than what we espect my wife and I). We just bought a ceiling spotlight from Ikea but there is a problem.

Let me explain :

In fact, the place we bought was renovated 5 years ago but I don't think "renovated" is the word I should use. Everything was a mess, nothing was done correctly...
So there is a recessed lighting on my ceiling righht now (this one is not fix, not screw (I don't even know how it can stand up there).
I want to install my new light but the fact is, when I remove the actual light I only have a big hole. This hole need to be cover (at least a part of it) because it is bigger than the base of my new ceiling spot.
But even if I cover this hole I still have nothing to screw my new light on the ceiling.

So I am here because I need to find a solution to this problem. I want to "install" a patch or a piece of drywall (if this is the neame) to cover the wall. After I wanted to make a hole and install a "box" to screw my new light. But the fact is I don't even know how this can stand up there (and I am sure there is an easier way to do that).

Thank you for your help

PS : Sorry if my English is not really good but it is hard for me to explain my problem in a language which is not mine.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-09, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
OK, it sounds like you need to install a drywall patch. Sounds like you already have part of this figured out. You could enlarge the hole til you get to some wood that you can screw the patch into. You could also run some short pieces of a furring strip across the hole now and screw the patch to those.

Since the ceiling will be open you could attach your new box to the wood and then patch.

There are also old work boxes made that can be installed after the drywall is in place. They are not listed for fixture support due to the variable nature of the surface they would be mounted to. This is one style

If you need more just followup and someone will chime in.

Old 10-05-09, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 132 Posts
Getting the recessed can down will depend if it is a "new work" or remodel fixture.

A remodel can will have three or four black steel tabs on the side of the can housing. They hold the can tight to the sheet rock. They pull in towards the inside of the can and you can then pull the whole fixture out of the hole, box and all.

A new work can will have 3 or 4 1'4" hex head screws holding the can up. Remove them and you will be able to pull the can housing down which will allow you to gain access to the box above the ceiling.

Depending which type of can you have, mounting a new box for your new fixture might be different. With a remodel can, you will (should) have plenty of slack in the cable to install a new box. That box can be a remodel box after the ceiling is patched, a fan type box with a expanding brace, or just a standard box with some added wood framing.

With a new work can fixture you will have to either remove the bracket above the ceiling or somehow work around it. The cables feeding the box for a new work can might be too short to reach your location of the new box. IF that is the case then you have a new can of worms and have to run new cable from where the cable(s) originate. In this case I hope you have access to the attic above if there is one.

Old 10-05-09, 07:14 PM
F
Thank you for your help.

PcBoss : My big concern was "how to fix the drywall patch" because I was scared that it didn't stand up with the weight of the new lighting. I bought that kind of patch to fix some walls here but for this work I want to do do it by myself like that : (Using a rela piece of drywall).
My question is how can I screw it on the ceiling because i don't want that people can see the screw.

Tolyn : I am sorry but My english is kind limited and what you said is kinda too much for me and seems to complicated for me but thank you for your post.

Old 10-05-09, 08:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
You are fine. The picture you show to patch the hole with drywall is a good method. After the patch is installed you would still need to apply joint compound and tape to smooth out the area. The screw will not show after you finish the area.

The screen patch will not hold any weight. Use real drywall.

Old 10-06-09, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 132 Posts
I agree with PC about real drywall. You can place your backing for the drywall on the sides of the hole. IE: Just like your 2nd picture but with the wood on the sides of the hole.

Old 10-08-09, 05:47 AM
F
Sorry if I didn't answer before.

Ok I will try that. I talk to my dad (who lives in France) and he told me the same thing.

Thank you so much for your time and your help.