low voltage can lights with drywall

Old 10-09-09, 07:36 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
low voltage can lights with drywall

I would like to know if it's normal to install low voltage recessed lights (with a transformer) in a drywall ceiling. I would like to do this in my basement but I'm wondering what happens if the transformer goes bad because it seems like you have to cut open the ceiling to get to it. I can see installing them in a suspended ceiling where you have access to them but I'm worried about a drywall ceiling. Do transformers go bad eventually? I just don't know if it's smart to put that extra part up there because eventually it might have to be replaced.

Old 10-09-09, 08:15 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The transformer requires a 120v connection. Line voltage connections must remain accessible..

Old 10-09-09, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
If the transformer is mounted to the box of the can light then it is accessible. It might not be easily accessible but you would be able to service the transformer through the hole of the can.

Old 10-09-09, 07:56 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yes, it can be replaced

yeah
you can use low voltage mr-16 / 11 based cans in hard lids ( drywalled )
you turn off the power
you remove the 3 screws ( 5/16" phillips screws ) with a small phillips screw driver , push up the can ( into the ceiling ) and then you have access to the junction box, but as you will note the transformer is on the backside of the junction box.
but you can take the inside access plate of the junction box, unwire the connections , then reach over and unsnap the out plate that holds the transformer , remove through the hole and replace it with a new one, assembly is the reverse sequence. it's a tight fit if you got big hands going through a small 4 or 3 inch hole, this is why replacing them on a remodel low voltage can is much easier, since you remove the remodel can out ( by unclipping the spring locking clips ) and pull fixture and attachedt transformer along with it.

the same applies to florescent downlights, except usually the ballasts are on the inside plate where you can see them once you push up the can, so you have an easier time of replacing the ballasts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: