How do I install motion sensor to control patio lights?

Old 10-16-09, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I install motion sensor to control patio lights?

I have a light switch that turns on 3-4 outside patio lights. I would like to install a motion sensor which would turn all of these lights on simultaneously when motion is detected outside. Ideally I would place the motion sensor near the garage door outside and it would send a signal to the indoor light switch to turn the lights on. I am trying to find a good product that will reliably do this. I want something that only activates when its dark out and which can be used on existing fixtures. Is it possible to install a single sensor that will activate all four lights at once or do I need a sensor added to each light fixture? Also, which product is most reliable?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-09, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What you would be doing is locating the motion sensor after the interior switch and before the first light, if you can determine that. You will turn on the wall switch, but the motion detector won't allow the lights to turn on until motion is detected. Now, make sure your motion detector has the "always on" feature. This will allow you to turn the switch off for one second and back on, and the lights would stay on until 1) you turned the switch off for 5 seconds or 2) the party goes too late and the sun comes up before anyone notices the lights are still on. The built in photocell will automatically turn them off and reset it to the motion thingy.