stays on during daylight

Old 10-28-09, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
stays on during daylight

At the facility where I work we have these outdoor lights on poles that turn off automatically when it gets dark enough, but the problem is we'd like them to turn off when it's actually darker out instead of when it's still daylight but just kind of a dark cloudy day. At the facility where I work we have these outdoor lights on poles that turn off automatically when it gets dark enough, but the problem is we'd like them to turn off when it's actually darker out instead of when it's still daylight but just kind of a dark cloudy day. http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1252.jpg
Where do I look for a sensor for these type of fixtures, and if there are sensors how might I adjust them so they don't stay on so long during the regular daylight? Also we have lights under the eaves (one shown in other picture here) http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1253.jpg
that do the same thing, stay on too long even when there's plenty of daylight. Maybe they're all on the same circuit but anyway I'd like to be able to figure out if they're on a sensor or some kind of timer that can be adjusted, but I sure can't figure out where such sensor or timer would be. any comments appreciated.

Old 10-28-09, 03:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The under eave lights may be on a timer, but it could be a photocell. Do they come on at the same time as the outside pole lamps? If so, they are controlled together. At the base of one of the pole lamps you may find a photocell. Increase the light entering the cell by moving the shroud, or tilting it to a more westwardly position. You'll just have to look around for the photocell, or in the frame room where all the breakers are for a timer.

Old 10-28-09, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
The under eave lights may be on a timer, but it could be a photocell. Do they come on at the same time as the outside pole lamps? If so, they are controlled together. At the base of one of the pole lamps you may find a photocell. Increase the light entering the cell by moving the shroud, or tilting it to a more westwardly position. You'll just have to look around for the photocell, or in the frame room where all the breakers are for a timer.
Not sure whether the eave lights come on or turn off at the same time as the outside pole lamps, never actually witnessed them when they turn off or on, but just know they automatically turn on by themselves when it gets dark but when it's light enough they turn off automatically.

I looked at the bases of all the pole lamps (seven total) and none of them have a photocell anywhere, either there or on the luminaire part of the fixtures. I found the breaker on the breaker panel that turns off the pole lights, but when I turned off that breaker the eave lights still remained on, indicating obviously there are not on the same circuit. There is no timer that I can see anywhere in the room with the breaker panel that includes the breaker for any of these lights. I'm stumped.

Old 10-28-09, 06:24 PM
On the same note, on the back of the building there is this photocell
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1254.jpg
which controls the light in the picture here plus another one. It also makes the lights turn on too early, before it really gets dark enough to need the lights. This seems to be just a plain round photocell that you can't adjust, no shroud here or way to tilt it or anything. comment please. thanks

Old 10-28-09, 08:42 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My suggest that change to diffrent photocell unit let me post a photo so you will get the idea what I am talking about.

This one of few photocell type I used on wall mount so I can able adjust the senstivey level to suit what you need to do it.

to change over it pretty straight foward task take off the old photocell { yeah make sure you have the power off first before you mess around with this one } and make note of connections typically most are pretty much the same but let me run it again so you will know

Black - line supply
White - Netural
Red - load supply { to the luminaires }

that is most common format but if diffrent than above refering to the installment sheet or get ahold one of us we will steer ya right.

Save that cover you will need it again it will fit in 1/2 inch KO opening in the cover and when you get done just make sure you chalk the top and side to prevent rain or snow get inside of the junciton box.

That type of photo cell it will useally have horzontal band that can slip over the photocell to adjust the senstivey you need and you can able turn it around or adjust a bit to suit your requirement.

Merci.
Marc

Old 10-30-09, 04:12 PM
The pole lights and the eave lights stay on throughout the cloudy days now, just because the days are getting slightly darker with the onset of winter. There's no need to be wasting the bulb life and using electricity like this but for the life of me I can't fine any photocells for these fixtures, even though they must be somewhere because I am absolutely certain these lights turn on and off automatically based on how much daylight there is. any further suggestions please

Last edited by sgull; 10-30-09 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-30-09, 05:42 PM
F
Did you try tempory unhook the photocell to see if the luminarie stay off yet ?

If not then there is other photocell somewhere in that buliding area sometime you have to get up the roof to find it { I know some do that way}

sometime change to diffrent setting on photocell will make the diffrence on the performace.

Merci,Marc

Old 10-30-09, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Did you try tempory unhook the photocell to see if the luminarie stay off yet ? If not then there is other photocell somewhere in that buliding area sometime you have to get up the roof to find it { I know some do that way}
The only photocell I found is what was pictured in my previous post, on the back of the building, which controls only the two canister type outdoor luminairs back there. It's the pole lights and the under-eave lights I can't find any photocell for, will look on roof I guess but have been on roof before and never noticed it...

Old 10-30-09, 05:59 PM
F
Give a try I know some commercial building done like that way it will look like round photocell type if round type most case useally twist lock type so untwisted it will come out and replace with new one that useally take care that curpit.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: