Recessed Lights above Kitchen Table

Old 11-02-09, 10:48 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed Lights above Kitchen Table

I'm planning on putting recessed lights above our counter height kitchen table and was wondering what size lights I should use and how many I should install.

The table is 54"x54" when fully open and 54"x 30" when the leaf is out. I was thinking of putting two lights but would that be enough? Is there a rule of thumb when trying to figure out how many to use? Also, should I use 6" or smaller canisters? The ceiling is 8 foot high. Right now there is one hanging light above the table that I'm removing and replacing with the recessed lights.

We want to have the lights on a dimmer but would like to use flouresent bulbs. Do they make those bulbs for dimmers yet?

Thanks for your help

Old 11-02-09, 11:54 AM
A
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yes, you can get fluorescents that work with dimmers now, at least in R30 sizes. I haven't found R20's in my area yet. They do take a minute or so to warm up to full brightness but I've been using them, I have 8 of them on dimmers, for about 6 months. No problems.

Anyways, the number of lights depends on the fixture you use. The beam angle also changes depending upon the bulb. The R30 has about a 60 degree angle, depending upon manufacturer. At a height of 5' above the table, you'll have about a 5' wide beam. It won't be uniformly bright however.

So you could possibly even get by with one. I think you're better off with the two though. Remember though, lighting is subjective. What I like may not be what you like.

Hope it helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: