Replacing Spot light GU10

Old 11-02-09, 07:27 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Spot light GU10

My basement has 11 ceiling recessed lights type GU10 of 50W. i would like to change that for energy saving reasons.
when i check the light fixture, the GU10 spot light are conected to a GU10 socket that is hanging on a wire in the light fixture enclosure. The GU10 spot light then fits on the light fixture so it is firmly secured.
Can i simply cut the wire to the GU10 socket and replace it for a regular spiral socket of 50W or less?
i am tired of the spotlight

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-09, 07:39 PM
F
Originally Posted by waterloo123 View Post
My basement has 11 ceiling recessed lights type GU10 of 50W. i would like to change that for energy saving reasons.
when i check the light fixture, the GU10 spot light are conected to a GU10 socket that is hanging on a wire in the light fixture enclosure. The GU10 spot light then fits on the light fixture so it is firmly secured.
Can i simply cut the wire to the GU10 socket and replace it for a regular spiral socket of 50W or less?
i am tired of the spotlight
I really doubt that the CFL do come in G10 socket size but what size recessed luminaire you have a 4 inch or 3 inch unit ?

If 4 inch I think but I just can't be sure if they did have 4 inch CFL verison but If you want to know I can able dig up the info if that in the market otherwise I think the LED may work very well in that useage

BTW is this a low voltage or line voltage verison ?
that will make the diffrence there and this is a new construction or remodel cans.

If latter { remodel } it will be pretty easy to swap it out.

Merci,Marc

Old 11-03-09, 08:34 AM
W
french277V
I am able to find very expensive CFL on GU10 socket that can fit. They are $10 a piece and dont provide very good light. Only one-two brands are available.
How do i determine if this is low or line voltage?

Old 11-03-09, 04:36 PM
F
Waterloo.,

The only way you can tell is remove one of the bulb and read the numbers it will useally have inprints to tell you the wattage and voltage.

With GU10 base I am pretty sure it will be on the socket location.

Merci,Marc

Old 11-04-09, 05:03 PM
W
I measured the voltage. it is 110V AC. I am assuming I am good changing the socket?
I am hopping it is cheaper to replace bulb and put regular CFL light compared to a GU10 CFL.