Help with flickering halogen lights needed!

Old 11-06-09, 01:08 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry WEIRD problem with flickering halogen lights, help needed!

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I don't start a thread that's already been dealt with, but I don't think so, cause I've been looking FOREVER on the internet to find a solution for my problem but so far nothing...

In my appartment, I have a floor lamp with a dimmable 230V halogen lamp. It's been flickering since the first day I bought it. I already had it tested in the store I bought it in, they said there wasn't a problem with it. After much negotiations, they gave me a new one, but the same problem. So I thought it was the dimmer in the foot of the lamp. I exchanged it with another (radiocontrolled) dimmer, guess what? Indeed, same problem. Conclusion: Faulty wiring inside the lamp? Wrong.

Above my counter, I have a set of 4 halogen lamps on 12V with an electronic transformer. These lamps or on another circuit than the floor lamp. This weekend I decided to install a dimmer on these lamps. I bought a dimmer that's capable of dimming electronic loads (for the electronic transfo). After a few minutes, these lamps also started flickering!

All my other lights in the appartement that aren't dimmed, work just fine, no flickering,nothing. Only the two dimmed lights start flickering. Remember: These lamps aren't in the same circuit...

Yesterday I tested with normal light bulbs, same problem...

Anyone has suggestions on what the problem can be? And any solutions maybe? Cause I really don't know what to do anymore...

Thanks up front.

Old 11-06-09, 07:08 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The remote dimmer may be receiving spurious signals from some source near the lights. Try them at a friends house. If they don't flicker you could try bypassing the dimer and see if they flicker back at your house.

Old 11-06-09, 11:23 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Senice you are in Belgium I have feeling you have electronic remote switching on the customer unit or panel centre.

I know we have same issue in France once a while some of the electronic switching devices are causing issue due the relay never able latch fully.

But one thing it got my attetion you say apartment so I suggest that you check with your landlord to see what if they know about the situaition what is going on there.

As far for dimmer there are few diffrent verison of dimmer units one is electronic the other one is standard one the thrid one { not used often } is reactor or autotransformer dimmer

now for the last thing here I know with apartments it can get tricky to troubleshooting but somecase you may get interfernce from other apartments I know it will show up one way or other.

{ have the landlord check the RCD breaker to make sure it not acting funky }

Merci,
Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: